Drunken Emu's Mississippi River Water (Hard Tea)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got a 5 gal batch stabilizing in secondary as of last night, og was about 1.070 because i like my stuff strong fg was around .992!! love it. tried the test sample last night and it was pretty nice, used 50 teabags but it came through. going to back sweeten with a concentrated tea that i add sugar to.

i only used 1 yeast pack, never a stirred and its fermented nicely. about a week.

cant wait to try it.

Brewed this up yesterday. OG ended up lower at 1.036, but I did end up with slightly more than a quarter gallon more than the 2 gallons I expected (multitasking a bit while measuring my first water addition). :smack: No big deal though. As long as it ferments down to at least 1.000, I'm happy with it for a first go-round.

I will say, as a beer brewer it was more than a little disconcerting to open the bucket up & stir the whole thing around just now. My brain was screaming "YOU'RE GONNA OXIDIZE IT, YA MORON!" but I'm sticking with the OP's directions, so...quiet, brain. :p

Also, Montrachet has a definite aroma to it. So far I much prefer the smell of fermenting wort, but here's to new experiences!

This is my first time fermenting with fruit. Is the bad smell normal? It's obviously a smell of rotting fruit and I just want to make sure that this will go away. By the way, just second day in the primary.

Just transferred my 2-ish gallon batch. Racked it over 2 crushed campden tabs & 1tsp sorbate.

Gonna let it sit for a week, then bottle with 4-5oz lemonade concentrate and bottle. How long is everyone letting theirs sit in bottles before consuming? Should I let it sit the standard two weeks, or is it ready right away? I don't particularly care if it ends up carbed, so long as it's tasty.

Just transferred my 2-ish gallon batch. Racked it over 2 crushed campden tabs & 1tsp sorbate.

Gonna let it sit for a week, then bottle with 4-5oz lemonade concentrate and bottle. How long is everyone letting theirs sit in bottles before consuming? Should I let it sit the standard two weeks, or is it ready right away? I don't particularly care if it ends up carbed, so long as it's tasty.

I have spent the last year brewing beers and this was my first experience away from that so I am pretty out of my element. Your addition of campden tabs + sorbate were for stabilizing it, yes? Also to reiterate my previous question, is the strong rotting fruit smell normal at the beginning of primary? I am extremely unused to it in comparison to beer-wort and my instincts tell me that something is wrong. I also just used the yeast mentioned in recipe without any additional energizer or nutrient; 32 hours in and no activity even after shaking it up earlier.

Sorry for the many questions, i'm really excited about this batch and I appreciate any patience with my amateurism.

Yeah - although the OP originally formulated the recipe without, campden+sorbate have since been recommended to stabilize it, so I'm giving it a go. I might brew up another batch in a few days and forego 'em, just for sake of comparison.

I'm afraid I can't answer your fruit question, since I didn't use any. I read a few posts where others who were doing smaller batches like I am came out with heavier than desired fruit flavors when they followed that bit of the recipe, so I just didn't bother. I will say that for the first few days it was pretty aromatic - I'm primarily a beer brewer and Montrachet definitely has a different "stink" than the beer yeasts I've used have. Unless the fruit looks moldy or there's a pellicle or something on the surface, I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, from my experience so far with this batch Montrachet ferments differently than beer yeasts - it's much calmer, with a fizziness rather than a full-on churning type ferment that you'd expect out of a beer yeast. Much less kreusen too. So I wouldn't worry about not seeing much activity. If there's sugar, and the yeast is even somewhat fresh, it's fermenting.

Yeah - although the OP originally formulated the recipe without, campden+sorbate have since been recommended to stabilize it, so I'm giving it a go. I might brew up another batch in a few days and forego 'em, just for sake of comparison.

I'm afraid I can't answer your fruit question, since I didn't use any. I read a few posts where others who were doing smaller batches like I am came out with heavier than desired fruit flavors when they followed that bit of the recipe, so I just didn't bother. I will say that for the first few days it was pretty aromatic - I'm primarily a beer brewer and Montrachet definitely has a different "stink" than the beer yeasts I've used have. Unless the fruit looks moldy or there's a pellicle or something on the surface, I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, from my experience so far with this batch Montrachet ferments differently than beer yeasts - it's much calmer, with a fizziness rather than a full-on churning type ferment that you'd expect out of a beer yeast. Much less kreusen too. So I wouldn't worry about not seeing much activity. If there's sugar, and the yeast is even somewhat fresh, it's fermenting.

I appreciate your advice, especially with similar experiences with beer-beginnings. It's hard to tell exactly what is going on in there...I just used half an orange and half a lemon but I threw them in without thinking about seeds, tannins, pulps...Lots of things floating around. It smelled incredible just with tea, I think I would stick to it next time. I used 3/4 green tea, 1/4 orange pekoe and add in a tsp of ginseng...I guess it's all up to see what happens over time now.

Looking at 72 hours and no visible fermentation. Hydro reading confirms. Any suggestions? Repitching/add nutrient or energizer?

Daaaaamnit. Finally got around to bottling my 2-gallon batch that I was supposed to bottle up back on St. Pat's. (just got busy & forgot it)

Got a little more than halfway through the batch, when the bucket tipped over the edge of the counter, sending the contents onto my lap and the floor.

Cleaning up almost a gallon of brew from your kitchen floor takes a LOT of paper towels. Just sayin'. :mad::mad:

Question, for whoever's still reading this thread: I now have 8 bombers full of this stuff, and it tastes pretty meh.

I used 5 oz of thawed store-brand lemonade concentrate to back sweeten (added it to the bottling bucket & racked on top of it) but the bottles range from mildly sweet & lemony to plain hard tea flavored, which isn't a good taste on it's own.

I've never had to back sweeten anything, let alone anything I've already bottled. I'm super hesitant to pour it out, sweeten it, and re-bottle it just because it's not worth the hassle.

Any tips on how to proceed?

Question, for whoever's still reading this thread: I now have 8 bombers full of this stuff, and it tastes pretty meh.

I used 5 oz of thawed store-brand lemonade concentrate to back sweeten (added it to the bottling bucket & racked on top of it) but the bottles range from mildly sweet & lemony to plain hard tea flavored, which isn't a good taste on it's own.

I've never had to back sweeten anything, let alone anything I've already bottled. I'm super hesitant to pour it out, sweeten it, and re-bottle it just because it's not worth the hassle.

Any tips on how to proceed?

what about adjusting to taste as you open these? occasionally i'll pour a wheat beer that I made awhile back that also tasted pretty meh, and i'll add some lemonade to it so that it tastes to my liking. you could do the same thing and also add some splenda.

it beats the alternatives.

I made this with green tea. It ended up tasting very thin and bland, but a little bit like cleaning products. It was quite delicious before I stabilized it and something in it changed. I am interested in making it again in the future but I will definitely be making some tweaks.

Getting ready to try this out and turns out I don't have any wine or champagne yeast like I thought I did. Any reason this wouldn't work just as well with something like US-05 or is wine yeast turn out a better product?

Gonna try this one out the coming weekend with a few little twists:

I raided our tea cabinet and found enough teabags to do this but it`s gonna be a motley crue:

-Cha organic black tea
-Lipton green tea strawberry cupcake
-Lipton Decaf earl grey
-Lipton lady grey

I also cannot get my hands on the Montrachet yeast so I ordered a bag of Mangrove Jack´s M05 Mead yeast, and a Lalvin EC-1118 Champagne yeast, one bag of either should be enough (tempted to try the jack) I also got 20g of campden powder and 100g of sorbate powder but got no idea how much am I supposed to use them as I`ve never used either before.

Sugar and the fruits I can get from the corner market.

Back