Witbier Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mloster

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the recipe. I'm actually using tapioca syrup instead of rice extract syrup but that was the closest match in beercalculus. Let me know what you think can be changed.
Screenshot2011-10-15at115602PM.png

I really enjoyed my Witbier made with WB-06. Ferments fast, ferments really well, carbonates quickly and tastes great. However I've only used it with sorghum only.

Would be great to try it side by side with T-58.

I've had great luck making my witlessbier with T-58. I haven't tried WB-06, but I would think that would give it a more German Hefe type flavor, right?

I did make a Hefe style with Danstar Munich, and that came out pretty good, though not as good as the Witlessbier...

The yeast is pretty key for a witbier. From what I've read, T-58 is probably the best dry yeast (therefore gluten free) for this style. I've got some Danstar Windsor laying around and could do a side by side. I feel like the Danstar would miss out on those citrusy flavors. I'm not a fan of sorghum, though I do use it from time to time. Even in a recipe that supposedly covers it up, I'm still able to taste it. I'm trying out tapioca syrup for the first time and seeing how that combines with some malted buckwheat. In this post https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/belgian-strong-gluten-free-271969/, he mentioned tapioca as the key to a good gf brew. Anyway, I'll probably brew this in a couple weeks once the buckwheat is malted and has wafted for several days.

Back