American Wheat: single or multi-step mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

American Wheat: single or multi-step mash?

• Single step mash

• Multi-step mash

Results are only viewable after voting.

Scooby_Brew

Reaction score
Most of the times I mash my American Wheat at a single temperature, most often at about ~150F, but I see a lot of people mash theirs with multi-step mashes. Which one is better?

Unfortunately the best answer is try it both ways and see which YOU like. It is not clear cut. I brew a lot of lagers. I always do multi-step mashes. I like to do saccharification at 146-7 and then 158-60. By changing the times at each, I can go from a light crisp beer to a rich full bodied one - all with the same grain bill. One can do the same with single infusions, mashing lower or higher.

It depends on how much effort you want to go through.

If you want it lighter and crisper, do a single infusion at 148-150. If you want it fuller, shoot for 154-56. Or mash at 147 for 30 min, and then 20 at 158 for lighter. Reverse the times for richer. With step mashing everyone's system is different so the times are only rough ball park values. You'll just have to experiment and brew more often to figure out the times for your system.

Back