Bottle harvesting- how do you know?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capttom

Reaction score
I bought some Moosbacher Weisbier tonight- more for reusing the swing top bottles than for the beer. But I find we like the beer, and am thinking I'd like to culture the yeast. The package stated it was bottle fermented- so does that mean it is game on to culture the yeast from a bottle or two and brew a batch? How do I know?

I've 'read' that some beers are bottle conditioned with a different yeast then they are fermented with, hence my concern.

I'm going back to searching online, but figured I'd throw the question out to many more experienced brewers than I.

I bought some Moosbacher Weisbier tonight- more for reusing the swing top bottles than for the beer. But I find we like the beer, and am thinking I'd like to culture the yeast. The package stated it was bottle fermented- so does that mean it is game on to culture the yeast from a bottle or two and brew a batch? How do I know?

I've 'read' that some beers are bottle conditioned with a different yeast then they are fermented with, hence my concern.

I'm going back to searching online, but figured I'd throw the question out to many more experienced brewers than I.

Is it cloudy? That's a good sign that it's truly bottle conditioned. I've harvested from a Chimay Grand Reserve successfully but also purchased a 6 pack of New Belgium Tripel that stated they were bottle conditioned only to later find they were force carbed.:mad: The NB Tripel's were crystal clear. The Chimay was super cloudy and the last 1/2" I swirled around and got quite a bit of yeast from. It was fun; I started with about a 100ml of 1.03 dme and stepped it up every couple of days until I had a half gallon of cloudy wort with a good 1/8" of sediment.

I know someone that works at NB, if I can call up there and ask any q's for ya, let me know. I'll also be up that way in June, and hope to take another walk through of the brewery...can ask then too.

As for the weissbier- we brought home two kinds- a wheat and a dark wheat. Both have a yeast sediment in the bottle. The dark wheat is murky- the wheat is fairly clear
(website calls it "fine filtered"); both had yeast sediment in the bottle.

Back