yeast cake question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monk420

Reaction score
i'm making a honey kolsch. and have a trippel ipa in a secondary now. when i brew could i just rack my kolsch on to my yeast cake from my seconday. i will be pitching the yeast from a higher gravity, to a lower gravity beer. Also the kit says it uses a new strain for lighter body and flavor. If i use my yeast cake how will that effect my flavor? Or am i better off just making a stArter and buying the yeast that comes with the kit? thanks

Kolsch yeast is pretty integral to the style and not very much like most yeasts used for trippels--a kolsch is a hybrid type where you're looking for a clean, lager-like fermentation.

+1 to Sumner. kolsch is a very delicate, specific type, whereas ipa is a brutal ( and 1 of my favorite ) types. i love both ipa's and kolsch's. i would never think of combining the 2. that's almost like saying " yeast is yeast "

i'm making a honey kolsch. and have a trippel ipa in a secondary now. when i brew could i just rack my kolsch on to my yeast cake from my seconday. i will be pitching the yeast from a higher gravity, to a lower gravity beer. Also the kit says it uses a new strain for lighter body and flavor. If i use my yeast cake how will that effect my flavor? Or am i better off just making a stArter and buying the yeast that comes with the kit? thanks

Are you r\entering your beir(kolsch) into a contest? If you are then switch to the correct yeast...... Now if you want to be adventrous, go ahead and try it. One suggestion is to try and remove some of the trub(dump out some of the yeast after you rack off it). Go for it. You can't come up with something new without a leap of faith.

Latest posts

Back