Trappist Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, I brewed the original posted version of this beer 10 days ago. Only differences were 1.058 OG and 1.010 FG. Fermented a little hot, had to put it in cool water to keep it in the 70's. I am about to rack to secondary and took my FG reading. It smelled pretty fruity but the taste was okay but overall a little lackluster to me, not a lot of flavor. Is it just me? Should I withhold judgement until it gets some carbonation in there? Will using a special priming sugar add some more flavors? And finally, what do you think I could change to give it more flavor (not necessarily Belgian ester-y flavor but in general) I saw surfer said he wanted to add some aromatic malt, maybe chocolate malt and someone else suggested victory I think, has anyone tired any of that? Thanks!

You are making a few assumptions and IMHO mistakes,,,,,, I mean this in this nicest way it can be said. #1 it is only 10 days old !!!! I would not have even transferred from primary at all before taking a reading. I have found with this beer secondary is completely not needed but to each their own. the beer is green that is the lack luster flavor you are describing.... the hotter temps will add a banana flavor and aroma maybe some bubblegum too. My recommendation at this point if you are sure it hit TG is to bottle as normal do not add anything period let it sit for about 2- 3 months this beer takes some time to hit it's peak flavor. Never judge a beer after 10 days. This beer could use some aromatic mixed in but is not really needed. best of luck trust me give it 2-3 months you will have more flavor than you know what to do with !!!

I currently have a rochefort yeast Dragonmead Final Absolution clone in my secondary but Im going to possibly try this one next, but I have to agree you really need to let this beast age out. These yeasts give the majority of the flavor and you really need to give them time to situate themselves before making judging them.

Anyway, looks good, I have a Pale ale and possibly an Irish Ale on my list, but this looks like a definite possibility.

I cant get enough of these big Belgians!

Back