hard root beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How hard? Root beer needs a lot of sweet to make it taste right. What I've done is make a low-hop Mild, then added the extract and back-sweetened with Splenda.

well folks, the porpoise of the experiment will be

1. can't legally travel more than 100' from my house
2. no access to hard alcohol in my 1200 population town
3. no ca id
4. to hopefully make rootbeer with >3%abv
5. mix gnome extract with "beer" sugars, 5g water. ferment. kill yeast and add the normal table sugar.

david: how did that work?

any attempt hard root beer yet? i'm pondering adding a couple #s rice syrup or maltodextrine and or honey to 5g of gnome root beer and fermenting with 1056.

I've been considering the same idea. If you do this, please let me know your methods and how the end product turned out.

i have not had good results yet. if you are just 'fartin around' on this (budget-wise), try sugar and some champaigne yeast (if you can wait that long), then freeze it to get out the yeasties (and water). add to rootbeer.

personally, by the time I got done with all that, I would have wished I'd had a friend bring over a "handle" of bourbon. Beam and DrPepper might not be rootbeer, but after the second one you wont care. good luck.

I am going to do this, but I am going to use those old time little brown box ones for cram soda.

Then before I chill it, Cut it with perhaps 850ML of 190 proof grain Alcohol "Everclear"

Then bottle it in washed and san. Hein. bottles.

you can buy everclear online.. shipping to canada might be hard, or mark as gift.

Latest posts

Back