Anybody use a heat source other than gas/electricty?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
The other options I can think of are wood, charcoal, steam, and magma.

I bbq quite a bit so I have a lot of wood and have gotten pretty good at making my own charcoal. It's lump charcoal fyi. Anyway, I was starting some of it up the other day in a chimney and was thinking that if you had that under a pot/barrel it would boil quite a bit of liquid. It would be pretty easy once it got going to periodically feed in fresh pieces of charcoal to keep it going. You'd just have to do it outside and make a stand to hold your pot and the charcoal chimney.

Anyway, I like odd projects. Also this could cut out the cost of buying propane and I wouldn't be using a fossil fuel. Any thoughts?

I've seen what the heat of real charcoal can do to metal, so I'd be concerned if you were using an aluminum pot. It also burns pretty quickly so keeping enough fuel for a full hour long boil might get prohibitive.

That being said I want to see pics!

I'd definitely use stainless steel. You're right, it would take a lot of charcoal. That said it's easy to make. If you fill up a 55 gallon drum with wood (~1/4-1/3 of the bed of a Toyota Tacoma) you will get ~25 gallons of charcoal. That lasts awhile!

Up until recently I was using my rhino farts to heat the house... My wife appreciates that my body finally adjusted to the yeast...

Back