Brewing in Illinois

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuboc51

Reaction score
Hey all,
New to this forum and home brewing. I have only brewed one beer - american ale. Full of body and great taste. Little disappointed in the carbonation (at least after a month) It seems like the carbonation is coming around. Any suggestions for my next batch? Comments on using an aeration system, pros or cons? Also, any comments on beersmith vs. beer tool pro software?

I'm pretty new myself, welcome to the forum. Lots of good information here to read up on. Good people with great experience. I've never used an aeration system, mostly I just put a cap on the carboy and shake the hell out of like its a coctail shaker. I'm using BeerSmith and I'm pretty happy with it so far, still very much learning it though. As far as your next batch, check out the recipes in the forum, lots of good stuff. Don't forget to drink alot in the name of research.

Welcome to HBT. There is a Chicagoland group here as well in case you are interested in local topics or meeting fellow brewers.

Hey all,
New to this forum and home brewing. I have only brewed one beer - american ale. Full of body and great taste. Little disappointed in the carbonation (at least after a month) It seems like the carbonation is coming around. Any suggestions for my next batch? Comments on using an aeration system, pros or cons? Also, any comments on beersmith vs. beer tool pro software?

Aerations system to aerate the wort before fermenting? I'm assuming that's what you mean. I've used two different types/methods. 1) splashing and shaking. This method works fine. You can even buy one of those plastic aerators to put at the end of the vinyl hosing. 2) aquarium pump and diffuser. Works fine also.

For the most part, I don't notice a ton of difference between the two.

Back