Any Plumbers out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bopper

Reaction score
Any plumbers out there willing to help me with a problem with a closet flange? Here's the issue:

I'm remodeling my bathroom and when I removed my old toilet I noticed 2 issues: (1) the closet flange is cracked and (2) the flange is not attached to the subfloor. The existing flange is PVC as is the sewer pipe. It is on a concrete slab foundation.

It appears that one of the previous owners had replaced the original closet flange but in order to get access to cut the sewer pipe, the concrete subfloor was chipped away leaving no concrete left to screw tapcons into. Thus, the closet flange and, therefore, the toilet is only supported by the sewer pipe - not a good situation.

Ordinarially, in order to fix the cracked flange, I'd use either a spanner flange or other flange repair kit (super ring, etc.) but without the concrete I have nothing to screw tapcons into. My main concern is that the existing closet flange is not attached to the subfloor in any way - it is resting on a bit of concrete leftover after the subfloor was chipped away.

Anyone have any suggestions of how to fix this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

A pic would help. But, if I am reading you right, why now mix up some concrete and repair the chipped up concrete?

I think that is probably the solution, the problem is, I'm unsure how deep the hole is and I didn't know if I could cause any issues by pouring quickset concrete down there. I'm in a condo and didn't want to take any chances that I screw up mine or my neighbors plumbing somehow. Is it OK for PVC to be encased in concrete?

+1 to filling it back in with concrete. Grab some of the quick setting stuff and pack it in. The rest of the PVC is already encased in concrete so it's certainly not a problem.

Thanks to both of you for your help. I think what I'll do is remove the existing flange, pour quickset around the existing pipe, then install a new flange.

It's probably ABS plastic, its black?

If it's white or gray, it would probably be PVC.

As what has already been stated, use some cement and fill it in!

Make sure you get a new gasket too, don't use the wax ring they have started to ban use of them in different regions (currently illegal to install in a commercial building in Ontario Canada, soon to be banned in residential use). You can grab a synthetic gasket from your local hardware store for a few bux.

best of luck

time to get a japanese toilet lol
japanese_toilet.jpg

It's probably ABS plastic, its black?

If it's white or gray, it would probably be PVC.

As what has already been stated, use some cement and fill it in!

Make sure you get a new gasket too, don't use the wax ring they have started to ban use of them in different regions (currently illegal to install in a commercial building in Ontario Canada, soon to be banned in residential use). You can grab a synthetic gasket from your local hardware store for a few bux.

best of luck

Thanks for your input. - It is white PVC. Wax rings are still code here in Massachusetts. Out of curiosity, do you know why they are banning them for residential usage in parts of Canada?

time to get a japanese toilet lol
japanese_toilet.jpg

I was looking for some information on plumbing l and I dont have the safe search feature on.

So any way, those toilets are on the Internet in voyuer web sites. They hide the camera so the girl doesn't know. I guess people are getting board with normal entertainment, lol.

Thanks for your input. - It is white PVC. Wax rings are still code here in Massachusetts. Out of curiosity, do you know why they are banning them for residential usage in parts of Canada?

A lot of states/provinces have different codes. I believe the reason why they are getting rid of wax seals are because they break down over time. What happens with wax seals is they get really flat and they hug the toilet drain. When you change your toilet, you are supposed to get a new wax seal, but a lot of lazy people don't and a few years down the road they have leaks. You never know, it might be 20 years before they are banned in your state, maybe even 100. All I can say is the synthetic seal's can be reused, and I don't think I've ever seen one fail.

Just the way the world goes, there is always something better right?

I have also experienced the same situation. In my house sewer line is made of cast iron. Can you please share what step you took? I am in trouble.

Did it work okay before not attached? I don't know how well quick set concrete will work to hold the screw. That stuff seems like it chips fairly easy. What if you set the screws into the concrete with the flange on top. Then if the screws won't hold at least you'll have your bolts set? Also would it be possible to get a thin piece of Steel or wood around the hole where you can screw it down and then screw the flange on to it. Last but not least what about driving the screws down from the top of the toilet that are longer. What about finding flange screws that are longer? As a final idea we have a store in Denver called Do-It-Yourself Plumbing. They might have some ideas for you.

Ps- hope it all works out for you and obviously these are just some ideas from a non licensed plumber.

Last edited:
Back