ginger ale issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnclouds

Reaction score
I love Seagrem's ginger ale. I've been trying to duplicate it's taste or at least get close. I've been making 2 L batches at a time. So far all have been awful. From to sweet to flavor less to gag inducing.
My current recipe (the so far but still not right) is:

2 cups chopped then blended fresh firm Hawaiian ginger.
2 cups table sugar
3 cups brown sugar (packed)
6 cups water.

Mix all in large stockpot . Bring to a boil. Simmer on medium heat for 1 hr strain twice. And chill. This makes a dark syrup.

Place ice in glass add a few table spoons of syrup (to taste) and carbonated water.

This was by far the best but not quite what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

I love Seagrem's ginger ale. I've been trying to duplicate it's taste or at least get close. I've been making 2 L batches at a time. So far all have been awful. From to sweet to flavor less to gag inducing.
My current recipe (the so far but still not right) is:

2 cups chopped then blended fresh firm Hawaiian ginger.
2 cups table sugar
3 cups brown sugar (packed)
6 cups water.

Mix all in large stockpot . Bring to a boil. Simmer on medium heat for 1 hr strain twice. And chill. This makes a dark syrup.

Place ice in glass add a few table spoons of syrup (to taste) and carbonated water.

This was by far the best but not quite what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

Perhaps someone else will chime in with a different opinion but I would not put brown sugar in ginger ale unless you are making more of a Jamaican style ginger ale. Most people use brown sugar or raw sugar/turbinado sugar for things like root beer or colas...etc because of the molasses taste and the color. All the recipes I've come across that were good just used cane sugar. Keep the brown sugar for root beer...etc. and oatmeal. I love Seagram's as well...although Canada dry does have more bite maybe from real ginger...don't know. Or maybe it's in my head.

Other than that - just keep plugging away on the experiments...however make sure you keep everything consistent and keep a detail log. Did you boil at the same temp & time...of course ginger roots WILL vary in flavor and "bite" depending on the season, where it's coming from....etc. So that may be giving you different tastes. I'm convinced that's why commercial companies use extracts made in a lab....they can be mass produced with little or no difference in taste from one batch to the next. That's why people love them...it tastes the same...year after year.

Good luck

You may also want to try lemon/lime zest and juice. I'm also experimenting with using a ginger mix and separate simple syrup so I can dial in the sweetness.

I brew it in a 2 liter using:

About 2 Tbsp fresh ginger
About 2 Tbsp lemon juice to balance acids
3/4 to 1 Cup sugar
1/8 tsp dry champagne yeast

Make sure to mix in sugar before its completely full of liquid as its hard to shake up when totally full.

Let sit about 48 hrs depending on temp until as hard as a new 2 liter(helps to have a new one to feel and compare)

When done put it in the fridge and drink when cold.

Be careful opening it might be a fountain, if so ferment for less time next time.

Also I mix the ginger and lemon with a bit of water in the blender and strain for less sediment.

All ingredients can be adjusted to your liking. I usually add extra ginger.

Back