Need Help - Epic Recipe for my Daughter's Birth (12/15)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnio

Reaction score
Ok, so I am not even sure where to start, other than the fact that I have an idea. I really need to brew a special beer to pass out to celebrate my daughter's birth (currently slated for 12/15)

I know I am kind of late, but it just now struck me that handing people an "It's a Girl" beer would be WAY cooler than cigars.

So I am looking for something to brew that would be three things.

1) memorable
2) not so dark/hoppy/strange that a normal craft brew drinker would hate it
3) able to be enjoyed in December, but also maintain its character for a year (so I can have the last 6 pack with some friends on her first birthday) EDIT - Going to make two beers one for now, one for aging, so leave this out.

Anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT - First crack at a drink now recipe is here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/901319-post19.html

I'd suggest a nice porter, maybe something similar to Descheutes Black Butte but a bit higher on the oG? Not too hoppy, nice balance of chocolate malt flavor and should hold up to aging well. Plus it's a nice winter beer.

Is Descheutes Blacke a mild beer as far as darks go? I am a big fan of stouts and porters, but a lot of people I know aren't. I might have to do two batches the more I think about it...either that or maybe this would be a good opportunity for me to try and brew my Boulevard Nutcracker clone.

If you are appealing to craft drinkers, then a porter should be fine. If you are appealing to the BMC crowd and also want a beer that will be good in a year, then I'm not sure what to do.

Maybe make it simple, name her Amber and brew an amber.

Geez, when I read that it read like you wanted to pass out from drinking beer to celebrate. As we discussed before, the placenta harvesting might make you pass out anyway. I need lessons on reading comprehension.:D

That said, a porter sounds right nice.

Anything that you want to last a year should probably be pretty hefty. But also anything hefty won't be done by 12/15.

Quite a tussle you're in.

I'd go with a Robust Porter (like Jamil's) - it's hearty enough to last a year maybe, and good to drink in 6-8 weeks.

I'd do Orfy's Hobgoblin clone or something along those lines. Those English Brown ales are tasty and may last the year if stored properly, although I'm not sure. I doubt I could let a Hobgoblin sit that long anyway:drunk:

Congrats in advance:mug:

Thanks for the comments guys - Maybe I will just drop the year thing. I think its more important to have a beer that will be good that week than it is to have one that will last. I can still save a bottle as a momento.

Geez, when I read that it read like you wanted to pass out from drinking beer to celebrate. As we discussed before, the placenta harvesting might make you pass out anyway. I need lessons on reading comprehension.:D

That said, a porter sounds right nice.

LOL - I think hand out to friends would have been a better choice of words :D

Brew one that will be ready in time, and brew another that will truly epic and last until she turns 21! Like a barley wine. Maybe do a partigyle batch with an ordinary bitter as the small beer. Bitter would be a)ready in time b) drinkable to a large number of folks.

If you can restrain yourself with it you could sample one at each birthday!

Go malty. Malty beers tend to age better than hoppy ones, as hop flavor will diminish over time. Something like a Scotch Ale would do nicely- enough kick to be a nice winter warmer, an approachable flavor (as long as it's not too sweet), and a malty flavor profile that will age well.

I brewed an ESB to celebrate my son's birth. Hands down, it was the best brew I ever made. It was such a huge hit, that I'm brewing it again to submit in Sam Adams new homebrew contest. PM me if you'd like the recipe.

Congratulations, btw!

I would definitely go for something that will age so that you can pop one each year. Barleywine or Mead.

Ha!!! That's my idea... We're expecting April 7th and I thought that if it was a boy, I'd do a barleywine, and if it's a girl, a mead. I was thinking (24) 22 oz bottles of each could mean drinking 1 per year with a few extras to share with the kid when he/she is of age (18 in my book).

I actually have 5 gallons of clover honey mead about 6 months in, so if it's a she, then I'm prepared.

That's a pretty good idea, brew a pair of beers, one for now and one for aging...I will post some recipes here tonight and see what you guys think.

That's a pretty good idea, brew a pair of beers, one for now and one for aging...I will post some recipes here tonight and see what you guys think.

I agree.

And I think the one for now should be something like McMeniman's ruby ale. Pink beer for a girl makes sense to me.

I think I might have come up with something - What do you guys think?

I started with Jester's recipe from here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/sweet-success-24867/index2.html and tried to put it more in line with what my friends drink...I was shooting for a lighter color and an IBU/SG ratio about that of a pale ale.

Code:
Baby Beer
Brew Type: All Grain  
Style: Made up  
Batch Size: 5.25 gal   
Boil Volume: 5.50 gal
Boil Time: 60 min 
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 % 

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU 
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 60.22 % 
3.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 25.81 % 
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 8.60 % 
0.50 lb Caramel Wheat Malt (46.0 SRM) Grain 4.30 % 
0.13 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.08 % 
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 19.8 IBU 
1.00 oz Pearle [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 24.4 IBU 
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 10.2 IBU 
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (2 min) Hops 1.4 IBU 
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc  

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.061 SG  
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.016 SG 
Estimated Color: 12.5 SRM (12.7-33.0 SRM) 
Bitterness: 55.8 IBU 
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.88 %

Oh - and I am going to brew the 9/9/09 Barleywine as my keeper I think.

Ha!!! That's my idea... We're expecting April 7th and I thought that if it was a boy, I'd do a barleywine, and if it's a girl, a mead. I was thinking (24) 22 oz bottles of each could mean drinking 1 per year with a few extras to share with the kid when he/she is of age (18 in my book).

I actually have 5 gallons of clover honey mead about 6 months in, so if it's a she, then I'm prepared.

you may want to look into 750s with the concave bottom... something about being better able to withstand high levels of carbonation (or perhaps long term carbonation). Go Phillies.

Congratulations, Jon! I like the Barleywine idea. My wife used to help me celebrate my birthday with a sixer of store-bought Barleywine (usually Bigfoot), and I would always hold one back to the next year. We've gotten away from that for some reason. Another question though, is what are you going to cook up on that copper Dome? Prime Rib?

I haven't thought about that - I have two briskets, 4 pork butts, and about 15 lbs of chicken thighs that I am going to do in advance and freeze so that we have a lot of quick and easy meals while people are here visiting, but my guess is the only thing I will have time for is a steak :)

Back