Yeast Re-hydrating and Pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApolloSpeed

Reaction score
Ok,

Just so this noob can get squared away.

For instance, on the Fermintis WB-06 yeast it says

http://193.238.150.33/SHARED/Doc_51019.pdf

re-hydrate into yeast cream and spinkle 10 times its own weight...bla bla blah.... then pitch it into the vessel.

I can't understand this! How to you rehydrate it and it becomes a liquid....then you sprinkle a it??? wtf?? That makes no sense.

Please someone explain the process.:tank:

I'm with you on this one; the site description doesn't make much sense. I just rehydrate my yeast in a cup of room temperature water in a sanitized two cup measuring cup covered with plastic wrap for a half hour then pitch to my wort.

Ok,

Just so this noob can get squared away.

For instance, on the Fermintis WB-06 yeast it says

http://193.238.150.33/SHARED/Doc_51019.pdf

re-hydrate into yeast cream and spinkle 10 times its own weight...bla bla blah.... then pitch it into the vessel.

I can't understand this! How to you rehydrate it and it becomes a liquid....then you sprinkle a it??? wtf?? That makes no sense.

Please someone explain the process.:tank:

i will simplify things...just pitch the dry yeast into the beer...:fro:

I have been using S-05 for all of my ales and anything OG of 1.06 and below I pitch one packet anything bigger I do 2 packets...works like a charm. Never was a fan of rehydrating the yeast..and fermentis stuff is so good..never need to..

just my 2 cents.(Sorry I didn't actually answer your question but thought this was better)

To rehydrate you add the dry yeast to sterile water and let it sit..the yeast will hydrate and become cream(looks like cream)..than pitch the liquid creamish yeast to the wort.)
Jay

do your actually stir everything once you pitch it in?? Or actually sprinkle it on top, and leave it on top?

you can sprinkle and walk away if you want to. Personally, once i get down to pitching temp i sprinkle, seal, and shake the bucket like it owes me money ( for aeration ). This way i can pitch and aerate without having to re-open the fermenter. just my 2 cents.

hmmm.... on the fermentis pdf. It also says that Alternatively, you can just sprinkle it evenly on top when its above 20c. And leave it there for 30 minutes. Then stir it up.

I might just do that. way easier than their first method.

Back