Dunkelweizen Frustration!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shot0rum247

Reaction score
Alright so my dunkelweizen was in the primary for 7 days, I took a hydrometer reading and was a little sad to see a reading of 1.02. I got the advice to give the yeast a good stir to wake them up so I went ahead and did that. Two days later (today) I took another reading only to see that it has not moved. Any ideas? I am planning to racking to a secondary for a week should i go ahead and do that now despite the 1.02?

racking to a secondary will in no way help your stuck ferment. In fact, it's probably the worst thing you can do for it.

The yeast was the 3056 Bavarian Wyeast smack pack pitched at 65 degrees. The OG was 1.06 which should put me around 5.25 ABV as I sit at 1.02 for about 4 days now. I left the smack pack to start up for 7 hours and it was very inflated so I am pretty sure they were healthy. Also, my basement where its been fermenting is at 68 degrees constantly. The Wyeast website says that this yeast is good up till 10% and I am right in the middle of the optimum fermentation temp. I tasted one of my hydrometer samples and its already tasting great, but i just want it to continue!

Back