Carnivorous plants/turtle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon

Reaction score
I think my set-up was pretty cool. I dug this out for someone on a different site, but I thought people here would dig it as well.
Griffbirthandprevious2yrs025.jpg

The filter was the waterfall kind. I stacked rocks in the middle and put the plants on the rock. It immitated a mountain stream which is an environment the plants love.

Venus Fly trap and Pitcher plants, alligator snapping turtle, cabbage patch baby.

I didn't have to feed the plants, the turtle at 25 goldfish a week, the cabbage patch doll is an inanimate object.

Doh! They are cobra lillies, not pitcher plants...hello? I must have posted this too early lol. I figured someone would like this.

Very nice, thanks for sharing!

My 5-year old wants a turtle, and I've been playing around with the idea for a while now. I've kept fish for years, but turtles are new to me.

Thanks again!

Beerthoven said:
Very nice, thanks for sharing!

My 5-year old wants a turtle, and I've been playing around with the idea for a while now. I've kept fish for years, but turtles are new to me.

Thanks again!

Hehe, my 5 year old wanted one as well. So a week later he's at my FIL's and a turtle wandered out into the lawn. We let him 'keep' it for a week and then explained to him it was meant to be in the wild, so he agreed to let it go.

Thanks ! Yes the pain was going to the store to buy the feeder goldfish every week, they didn't cost much.

I kept thinking that I would set up a tank and just breed goldfish for him, but that seemed a little obsessive.

Kickass! I've been talking for years about putting together a similar setup for my mud turtle. Maybe this great example will give me a little extra motivation.

I was lucky enough to have the huge tank, (70 gallons, I ordered the glass and built it myself!) the pump keeps the water from getting stagnant.

I was actually researching how to care for my cobra lilies and venus fly trap when I read that cool mountain stream banks are their favorite habitat, with their roots actually in the running water, when I had this brainstorm.

I have not gotten it set up since we bought this house, and I am afraid turdel is terrorizing fish in the wild now. *sniff sniff*

DeathBrewer said:
won't that snapper get a LOT bigger?

this is what I was wondering. snapping turtles are some badass animals. I remember seeing them as big as man holes while vacationing in Wisconsin as a kid.

Yeah, he is released on his own recognissance....or some such thing.

He is terrorizing fish in the wild now.

Yes, size was the concern......I have kids.

The most fascinating thing was that neck. It stretched out nearly the length of his body. Goldfish had no chance. 25 goldfish in 45 minutes, no joke.

Back