Forgot to take first hydrometer reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
So my beer has been fermentin for a bout two days now however I forgot to take the first hydrometer reading is it okay to open my fermenter to take a reading after a couple of days or is it worse to open it this early??

I wouldn't bother. The gravity has already dropped significantly. If you have both a hydrometer and a refractometer you can calculate OG and ABV from final measurements.

Was your brew a kit? If it was your OG is what was specified by the recipe as long as your volumes were correct. If not a kit don't worry. OG is only useful for estimating ABV. A hydrometer reading after fermentation has begun will only give you a ball park OG. Not worth the risk of infection.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/forgot-take-hydrometer-reading-before-fermentation-433590/
If it tastes good after bottle conditioning your brew was a success.

Was your brew a kit? If it was your OG is what was specified by the recipe as long as your volumes were correct. If not a kit don't worry. OG is only useful for estimating ABV. A hydrometer reading after fermentation has begun will only give you a ball park OG. Not worth the risk of infection.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/forgot-take-hydrometer-reading-before-fermentation-433590/
If it tastes good after bottle conditioning your brew was a success.

As long as it was an EXTRACT kit and the volumes were correct - your OG is what it was advertised at.

DON"T take it now - as stated above - no real reason to, and a good way to infect your beer. it is really not "necessary" information - it is nice to have, but not critical to the outcome of your product.

Thanks for all the advice, picture attatched is the kit I used. Anything I need to know/consider for a successful brew?also would like to know how/when to transfer to secondary carboy and how/if I can add some orange flavor to secondary when transferring?

image-3860287207.jpg

image-2913762317.jpg

Back