Beer cellar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slackerlack

Reaction score
I turned a closet into a beer cellar. Any idea how to get it down to 53 degrees? I got a portable AC unit, but it only goes down to 61.

If you mean that its thermostat only goes that far down, you could probably modify it to do the job. One way to do it would be to disable the A/C thermostat and leave it always on, then use an external thermostat (e.g., STC-1000 or Johnson) to monitor the temperature and switch the A/C on and off. Check the current ratings, though. (There are other ways to do it, but that'd be the one that would require the least understanding of the A/C's circuits.)

Another possibility that may or may not be feasible, but would be simpler if it worked, would be to locate the A/C outside the closet, using a duct to pipe its cold air into the closet. Use an external temperature controller to monitor the temperature in the closet and switch the A/C on and off as needed. This will work as long as your temperature outside the closet is > 61°.

also depends on the AC...some of them have a screw on the thermo. if turned to the left and or right you can disable it and just run it off of a temp controller.

This is the one I got. I don't think taking the thermostat off and connecting an external controller will help. I say that because it would basically turn the unit off and back on when it needs to cool down. Every time it turns off it looses its settings and would not automatically start cooling.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008HUTCPE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
slackerlack said:
This is the one I got. I don't think taking the thermostat off and connecting an external controller will help. I say that because it would basically turn the unit off and back on when it needs to cool down. Every time it turns off it looses its settings and would not automatically start cooling.

http://www.amazon.com/Soleus-PE3-10R-03-Conditioner-Multi-Color-Programmable/dp/B008HUTCPE

If you are going to buy a new unit, check out post #16 of this thread for advice on an easy to modify unit:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/2-tier-2-zone-fermentation-chamber-build-aka-racer-x-377233/

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, if it's digital then it might be hard to disable the thermostat. Or it might be easy, it depends on how it's put together.

The description on the Amazon page suggests that it should remember its previous settings. Does it not do that?

Ah, if it's digital then it might be hard to disable the thermostat. Or it might be easy, it depends on how it's put together.

The description on the Amazon page suggests that it should remember its previous settings. Does it not do that?

Probably requires having it still plugged in in order to remember the settings. Kinda like on a car radio -- the car can be off, and will remember the stations, but if you unhook the battery, it loses all settings.

I think it should remember. From the product description, emphasis mine:
Digital thermostat for enhanced control, Auto Mode & Sleep Mode for increased efficiency, Washable/Removable Filter, Auto Restart after power outage, Settings are stored in memory using smart chip technology

Ok, I tested it out and it does remember the setting it was on when unplugged. So I took the AC unit apart and found a sensor going from the circuit board to the front of the coils. I am wondering if I could connect the AC unit to a temp controller unit like the one linked below, replace the AC sensor with a longer one, keep the sensor somewhere that is over 61 degrees, lets say my attic. You think that will keep it running below 61 until the temp controller unit shuts it off?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

Does the temperature sensor have any markings on it? If it's a thermistor, you may be able to replace it with a resistor that tricks the AC into thinking it's 80° all the time. That'd be more elegant than running wires (which may not work very well).

No markings on it. Just a regular sensor. I think I might be able to insulate it and keep it away from the coils to keep it warmer.

Back