Frequently asked question: Freeze hops? Refrigerate malt extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stricklandia

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is likely a common question, but after searching out the answer, I find conflicting opinions (big surprise). So I thought I'd try a new thread to get some current opinions/advice.

I bought ingredients for my next batch yesterday, but likely won't be able to brew till about 3 weeks from now. I went to the homebrew store to get a piece of equipment only, but my excitement for my next recipe (west coast-style barleywine) got the better of me, so I bought all the ingredients while I was there.

• Will the hops (in pellet form, sealed) be fine in the fridge for that time? Or should I put them in the freezer?
  • Same question for the grain: OK in fridge? Or freezer? (I sealed them in a Ziploc bag.)
  • Malt extract: OK to leave in cool, dry place? Or put in fridge?

If it's a big issue, I can brew sooner, on a weeknight; but would prefer to wait for my next available weekend, so I don't feel rushed (since I'm still learning).

Thanks!

Might as well throw the hops in the freezer.
The grain and malt extract should just be kept at room temperature, out of sunlight, in a dry place.

I put my hops and specialty grains in the freezer. My lhbs puts them all in a bag, so the whole shebang goes in the freezer. You can easily keep the grains at room temp, like schweaty states, with no problems. As for extract, if it hasn't been used, go ahead and keep it at room temp. If it has been used and open, cover it with vodka, loosely seal the can with saran wrap, and put in the fridge.

Back