What to Plant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBC

Reaction score
First, am I too late to plant in Virginia? How about Vermont?

Second, If I were to plant only two varieties what would you suggest? I was thinking one bittering and one aroma, or maybe a coupe of varieties that could serve as either. I tend towards ales in the form of pale ales and stouts.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

Jeff

You are going to move if it is too late in Va?;)

Cascade is a good choice because it is a good grower and a good bitter or aroma IMHO.

If I had to choose, It would probably be Cascade and Hallertaur.

But in the end it is always the same answer. What would you USE the most??????

You are going to move if it is too late in Va?;)

Cascade is a good choice because it is a good grower and a good bitter or aroma IMHO.

If I had to choose, It would probably be Cascade and Hallertaur.

But in the end it is always the same answer. What would you USE the most??????

No, I would not move to VT, but I would like to. SWMBO will be going to our small cabin there in a couple of weeks and we were thinking of planting them there also just because. I don't know if we would ever be able to harvest in the foreseeable future.

Not sure what I would use the most, I don't know taste differences enough. Cascade sounds like a winner, maybe something with a higher alpha for a second?

Thanks for your replies.

Centennial is my favorite for bittering, flavoring and aroma. So you kill 3 birds with one stone on that one.
Nugget hops are also great for all three.
And Mt Hood is great for lagers.....coincidentally, i am growing all 3, and highly recommend them...but DEFINITELY Centennials if nothing else.

If I go with Centennial, then is Cascade out because they are so similar? Another factor in this is hardiness, we are often out of town during the summer and unable to water regularly.

What about the timing, is it too late this year?

Thanks again for the responses.

I dont think it would be too late, might not get many cones, but the root system will have a head start for next year, I wasnt sure which ones to plant either so I planted 2 cascades, 2 centennials, 2chinook, 2 williamette, 2glacier,2 magnum, I guess Im covered for a while.

If I go with Centennial, then is Cascade out because they are so similar? Another factor in this is hardiness, we are often out of town during the summer and unable to water regularly.

What about the timing, is it too late this year?

Thanks again for the responses.

I do not find Centennial and Cascade alike at all. Centennial hops are bursting with tons of flavor, whereas Cascades are more mellow and floral. You could do both, but personally i would go with Centennial as they are more versatile in their uses, and more flavorful as well.
I don't think it is too late if you get them in the ground VERY soon. You will still be getting almost a year head start as opposed to waiting until next year, so go for it.
I don't know which hops need more or less water.....

Thanks for all your replies. I sure know more than I did. It looks like Cascade and Centennial.

Jeff

Back