Temp to high? Cannot get clean break with curd?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonemarrow

Reaction score
First attempt at making cheddar. temp was a little high when putting in Meso starter and rennet. Been waiting 2 hours for clean break in curd. Is it hopeless or will it form?

First attempt at making cheddar. temp was a little high when putting in Meso starter and rennet. Been waiting 2 hours for clean break in curd. Is it hopeless or will it form?

Check the milk. What type are you using? If it is UHT (ultra high temp) pastuerized, or organic (which is almost always UHT), it will fail to form curds.

I get almost instant curd formation after I add rennet. I use powdered calf rennet. Certainly, after 2 hrs it's not going to happen and is probably not salvageable (though it can't hurt to add more rennet).

When you say temp was a little high... how high?

What type of rennet are you using? Where'd you get it?

Milk was not UHT. About 15 degrees above the recommended 90. Rennet is New England Cheese making supply company, Animal Rennet.
I did continue let it sit and finally got curds however they where softer than what I have seen on videos. I pressed and dried it, it is now aging.

Milk was not UHT. About 15 degrees above the recommended 90. Rennet is New England Cheese making supply company, Animal Rennet.
I did continue let it sit and finally got curds however they where softer than what I have seen on videos. I pressed and dried it, it is now aging.

Hi, i'm sort of new at Cheese making myself (about a year now) but you say you started it off around 105 degrees? The suggested set temp is 86 so i'm thinking that nay have been a factor. Bob

Thanks for the replies, my second batch was much better. As a man I usually avoid instructions, but I can change, I guess, if I have to.

Back