American Wheat Beer Mosaic Honey Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to have a BBQ party next month and already have a cream ale and a pale ale with Cascade and Citra on the go. I'd really like to add a wheat beer to the line up and this looks like a candidate. However I only have 1oz of Mosaic.

I have so much hops I am reluctant to buy more until I have used some of them up.

I think I'll bitter with magnum and then a 1/2 ounce each of Amarillo and Mosaic at 15 min and flame out.
How does that sound or are there other hops that would combine better with Mosaic?

I also have summit, cascade, Willamette, citra, Chinook, galaxy, belma, falconer's flight, nugget, northern brewer, simcoe.

I would preferably only use one of these so that I still get the Mosaic flavour.

Thanks!:mug:

Anything super tropical would work awesomely! out of those i'd be leaning toward galaxy at first choice or citra as my second choice.

The bittering of course, shouldn't matter much as long as it's clean and you keep the IBU's in check! Keep us posted on the modifications and how it turned out! :mug:

Just found this today and I have mosaic hops in the freezer. It sounds like a great recipe. I hope to try it soon.

Awesome! it's such a great hop to have around... let us know how it works!

Brewed this last Monday, messed up and added .5oz for the FWH which will put my ibu aroun 35. oh well. thanks for sharing! :mug:

Honestly, that will still be great - Humans have a threshold of like 5 or so IBU's on either side that we cannot really detect, so it's not too much over, just pretend it's now more of a pale ale with a heavy wheat base :) :mug:

super curious how that turns out with the larger IBUs though!

Anything super tropical would work awesomely! out of those i'd be leaning toward galaxy at first choice or citra as my second choice.

The bittering of course, shouldn't matter much as long as it's clean and you keep the IBU's in check! Keep us posted on the modifications and how it turned out! :mug:

Thanks for the reply but I think now I might bite the bullet actually buy 1/2 a pound of Mosaic. I really want to try your original recipe first and then maybe experiment more if I make a second batch. I brewed a Rye IPA with Mosaic once and I can see how it would work so well here as a crowd pleaser. The perceived sweetness and the tasty aroma should indeed hit a sweet spot that both men and women would like.

The only change I'll make is to use Weyermann Abbey malt instead of the Honey Malt because I cant get that where I live.

I will brew it around the start of next month. :rockin:

Honestly, that will still be great - Humans have a threshold of like 5 or so IBU's on either side that we cannot really detect, so it's not too much over, just pretend it's now more of a pale ale with a heavy wheat base :) :mug:

super curious how that turns out with the larger IBUs though!

We'll tried a few pints today and this turned out great!

Could use some more time in the keg but couldn't help myself hah. I think you were right, with the .5 oz FWH it pushed this closer to a pale ale.

I brewed this recipe again last Wednesday with the original hop schedule to compare.

Great recipe Rivenin! Thanks for sharing, this will be in my lineup from now on. Cheers!

View attachment 1432332925781.jpg

that looks GREAT! Thanks for brewing!

Finally, a picture! :tank: Glad you enjoy it, i need to get back and brew this again myself soon!

It's next on my list. Not sure if I'll be able to brew this weekend or not.

Hopefully you had a chance! if not, no worry, it's a quick turn around beer.

Thanks for the reply but I think now I might bite the bullet actually buy 1/2 a pound of Mosaic. I really want to try your original recipe first and then maybe experiment more if I make a second batch. I brewed a Rye IPA with Mosaic once and I can see how it would work so well here as a crowd pleaser. The perceived sweetness and the tasty aroma should indeed hit a sweet spot that both men and women would like.

The only change I'll make is to use Weyermann Abbey malt instead of the Honey Malt because I cant get that where I live.

I will brew it around the start of next month. :rockin:

Sad on the honey malt, it's a VERY different kind of malt. I've never tried abbey before, but either way it should turn out great! Keep us posted!

Hopefully you had a chance! if not, no worry, it's a quick turn around beer.

Not yet, we had a big home improvement project take up the whole weekend. I'm shooting for next Saturday morning. Gonna brew this and a red rye IPA if all goes well.

Just finished a bomber of Mosaic pale ale. I use rye instead of wheat, so obviously this is a different beer, but this thread caused me to consider:

1. Could I brew just about anything with this hop and still love it? Say, leftover meatloaf? (Mash meatloaf for at least 120 min.)
2. Does anyone get the sense upon the first drink that this hop needs to be paired with another hop to complete the ecstasy? If so, what is the second hop? I always change my mind about this by the time I finish, btw.
3. Rivenin, your recipe looks like one I'd like to try with my remaining Mosaics. Thanks for sharing.

Just finished a bomber of Mosaic pale ale. I use rye instead of wheat, so obviously this is a different beer, but this thread caused me to consider:

1. Could I brew just about anything with this hop and still love it? Say, leftover meatloaf? (Mash meatloaf for at least 120 min.)
2. Does anyone get the sense upon the first drink that this hop needs to be paired with another hop to complete the ecstasy? If so, what is the second hop? I always change my mind about this by the time I finish, btw.
3. Rivenin, your recipe looks like one I'd like to try with my remaining Mosaics. Thanks for sharing.

I think I agree. I haven't brewed with it yet but I've dry hopped and I've also loved every commercial brew I've had with mosaic. I think Mosaic & Citra is a great pairing a la Fresh Squeezed IPA.

Please post extract version of this meatloaf IPA recipe.

YES - although it might have more body then what was originally intended

Mosaic is great by itself (hence the name, it's just all over the place). But i completely agree on the 2nd addition of hops to get the full roundednes of it.

I've used 4 or 5 hops in an IPA once that had mosaic, CTZ, Citra, Motueka and centennial that was fantastic... but never done just mosaic and one other hop, but i could see maybe centennial being very interesting. Citra being fantastic (i'd keep it more backgroundish and let mosaic come through more), Summer could be interesting as well... Galaxy? i'd say grab something super fruity ad have some fun!

I'd say go for it!
...Well of course i'd say go for it... haha, but if you have mosaics, it's going to be a fairly cheap recipe to make as well

My house IPA uses Chinook/Mosaic/Amarillo in boil and Amarillo/Mosaic/Motueka as DH adds, super happy with that recipe. Might have to try the meatloaf add.

Pretty funny - I've had a bunch of IPAs somewhat recently, tis the season in the PNW... hints of sun mean more of them around here.
all of them have been pretty "meh, not bad"
then i bought "mosaic IPA" from Cascade lakes brewing company.... either it was the hop that made it awesome, or the beer itself. But maybe it's a crutch hop for sure. But it was indeed lovely

So my plan was to brew this on Friday night.
I made an online order last week which included 1/2 LB of Mosaic. I have everything else here.
To cut a long story short there is a delay with the order and I'm not sure if I will get it on time :(

I really want to have a wheat beer ready for the start of next month but I only have 1 oz of Mosaic so I need a backup plan.

I guess subbing out the 60 min addition with Columbus should be OK.
However I need to decide if I should use the oz of Mosaic for 15, 0 or dry hopping?

I've narrowed my other hops down to Amarillo and Falconer's Flight.

So I guess:

60 min 0.25 oz Columbus
15 min - 1oz Amarillo
0 min - 0.5 oz Amarillo and Mosaic
Dry hop - 0.5 oz Amarillo and Mosaic

FF can be used instead of Amarillo but I think Amarillo would be better.

Sounds OK any comments?

60 min 0.25 oz Columbus
15 min - 1oz Amarillo

Sounds OK any comments?

Wouldn't you receive your Mosaics by the time you are ready to dry hop? If so, use the 1 oz on brew day.

FWIW, my Mosaic Pale Ale used Columbus for the 60 min addition. Turned out great. This "Pale Ale" used 8 oz of Mosaics for a 7.5 gal batch. I suppose many would call it an IPA. I used 3 oz to dry hop.

Not sure if this recipe has enough Mosaic hopiliciousness for me. Depends what you like, but I would definitely increase the Mosaic dry hop if you receive them in time. Good luck!

60 min 0.25 oz Columbus
15 min - 1oz Amarillo

Sounds OK any comments?

if that were me, i'd go with the following

60 - .25oz columbus
15 - 1oz amarillo
0 - 1oz mosaic
Dryhop when you get them (shouldn't take longer then 2-3 weeks, at least i'd hope! lol)

just make sure to keep the IBUs in check! it might be nicer with a mix of hops as well.

it'll be close enough for government work! :)

Not sure if this recipe has enough Mosaic hopiliciousness for me. Depends what you like, but I would definitely increase the Mosaic dry hop if you receive them in time. Good luck!

i wouldn't fight more mosaic in any recipe! But with it being a wheat, super hopped wouldn't be "to style"... but as homebrewers, we don't have guidelines haha, so do what you will!

Hey u guys are of course right. I will have the delivery in time to dry hop ...doh!
I'll brew using the exact schedule suggested by rivenin. Might have to reduce the 60 or 15 min additions to keep it around 30 IBUs. More would be fine by me but I want it as a crowd pleasing BBQ beer :cross:

In was hoping to make this today but the LHBS was out of Mosaic... So I decided to go for it and try making my own hop schedule with what they had. This is what I came up with:

60m - 0.5 oz Nelson
30m - 1 oz Amarillo
15m - 0.5 oz Nelson
0m - 1 oz Zythos

Planning to dry hop 2 halves of this with 1oz Nelson in one and Zythos in the other.

Was hoping to try the original but oh well. Made do with some interesting and fruity hops to try and match the original some.

In was hoping to make this today but the LHBS was out of Mosaic... So I decided to go for it and try making my own hop schedule with what they had. This is what I came up with:

60m - 0.5 oz Nelson
30m - 1 oz Amarillo
15m - 0.5 oz Nelson
0m - 1 oz Zythos

Planning to dry hop 2 halves of this with 1oz Nelson in one and Zythos in the other.

Was hoping to try the original but oh well. Made do with some interesting and fruity hops to try and match the original some.

Ive used nelson once... in a beer i fermented too hot accidentally (one of those LOVELY days in the NW where it was chilly for a few days, but then heated up super fast the morning after brewday) so i haven't had a good nelson beer ever haha, But from what i remember about it, should be good! next time i make this i might swing a nelson in there as well.

Cheers!

Nelson from Alpine Brewing is obviously heavy on the Nelson hops, and it's fantastic, one of the best IPAs ever, so I've always been interested in it. The aroma when I opened the bag it was great, so I'm looking forward to it!

I just got a kegging setup i'm going to be working on setting up so that hopefully I can get this one in the keg, so I'm not sure If I'll be splitting this batch after all.

So I brewed up a batch of this and when I tasted a sample when I took the gravity before crashing, I thought I made some mistake! It was not good. After the crash, kegging and force carbing, I cannot get enough of it! It still is not cared enough, but mighty tasty! Now the issue is not drinking it so I can take it to a party! This will be a repeat for the future!

My brew plans for last Friday were put on ice because it was such a beautiful day when I came back from work my SWMBO had already started a BBQ party with a few of our friends in the garden.:tank:

So tomorow I will try again ;)
My 1/2 LB Mosaics has also arrived but now I'm faced with the choice of going all Mosaic or using the hop schedule I mentioned a few posts ago.

I'll have to decide before tomorrow :drunk:

My brew plans for last Friday were put on ice because it was such a beautiful day when I came back from work my SWMBO had already started a BBQ party with a few of our friends in the garden.:tank:

So tomorow I will try again ;)
My 1/2 LB Mosaics has also arrived but now I'm faced with the choice of going all Mosaic or using the hop schedule I mentioned a few posts ago.

I'll have to decide before tomorrow :drunk:

So I brewed with Columbus, Amarillo an Mosaic.
Only got an SG of 1.047 though :eek:
BIAB is great for saving time but I'm finding it difficult to get consistent results.

I don't have and don't want to order any extract.
Wondering if I should just leave it as is or perhaps add some sugar syrup after about a week to up the Abv. a bit. Will dry hop with 1oz Mosaic.

Will be a good beer either way :ban::D

So I brewed with Columbus, Amarillo an Mosaic.
Only got an SG of 1.047 though :eek:
BIAB is great for saving time but I'm finding it difficult to get consistent results.

I don't have and don't want to order any extract.
Wondering if I should just leave it as is or perhaps add some sugar syrup after about a week to up the Abv. a bit. Will dry hop with 1oz Mosaic.

Will be a good beer either way :ban::D

Either way that should turn out fantastic!
i wouldn't put sugar in, just let it ride on out... I had the same problem one brewday where i brewed this one twice... one was 1.054 and one turned to 1.045 (whoops!) turned out my mill got loose and did a terrible job crushing... so i just went with it and both turned out great.

I'm interested to hear how it is with the amarillo!

So I brewed up a batch of this and when I tasted a sample when I took the gravity before crashing, I thought I made some mistake! It was not good. After the crash, kegging and force carbing, I cannot get enough of it! It still is not cared enough, but mighty tasty! Now the issue is not drinking it so I can take it to a party! This will be a repeat for the future!

Awesome! Glad to hear!
i had that same problem for some reason the 2nd time i brewed it... not sure what happened with it... but glad to know i wasn't the only one :)

Glad you enjoy it!

Nelson from Alpine Brewing is obviously heavy on the Nelson hops, and it's fantastic, one of the best IPAs ever, so I've always been interested in it. The aroma when I opened the bag it was great, so I'm looking forward to it!

I just got a kegging setup i'm going to be working on setting up so that hopefully I can get this one in the keg, so I'm not sure If I'll be splitting this batch after all.

HAH! i take that back! i've had that beer once at a bottle share... i remember it being super dank and awesome.

Keep us posted though! i'm super curious
\

I know they use a few hops, so we'll just have to see. I was planning to split it and bottle, so I could dry hop two halfs differently. I got the makings for a kegerator recently, but don't have that all important KEG part of it yet, so I think my plan may still stand. I'll pull a hydrometer sample tonight I think, to see where it's at.

I brewed this about 4 weeks ago tapped my first of two kegs today. Really awesome beer. Stuck pretty closely to the original recipe. Did not dry hop. Nice pleasant citrus nose. Oh and I used Wyeast 1010 American wheat yeast.

So I ended up pulling a sample last night to see how it's coming along. It's down to about 1.011, and the taste is a little more bitter than I was hoping. Fruits are there a little, but theres a resiny finish on it that sticks around.

I finally got Beersmith and installed it tonight, and given the recipe I brewed, I got 57.9 IBUs, so I can't say I'm too surprised really. Truth be told I goofed and added my 1oz amarillo at 30 mins when I was planning on them being at 15, which would have dropped it about 12 points. Oh well, live and learn!

In playing with it, I see that dry hopping doesn't add IBUs? Thoughts on dry hopping with something a little fruity-er? How do the alpha acids affect dry hopping, or do they not affect it, hence the same IBUs?

I had the same thing with a White IPA full with C hops but when I took a sample form the bucket just before bottling there wasn't even a hint of hop aroma. I have of course noticed with other beers that after carbing the hops are much more pronounced but with my limited experience I think with hoppy wheat beers the difference before and after conditioning is much more significant.

I had the same thing with a White IPA full with C hops but when I took a sample form the bucket just before bottling there wasn't even a hint of hop aroma. I have of course noticed with other beers that after carbing the hops are much more pronounced but with my limited experience I think with hoppy wheat beers the difference before and after conditioning is much more significant.

couldn't agree more... i have an IPA i just kegged and the samples were good... but no where near a lb in the boil big. So i'm crossing fingers the wait and carb method will work.
but yeah, wheat beers REALLY come into themselves when carbonated... additionally when they're hopped up a bit.

Fingers crossed. I think I'm gonna get to brew again tomorrow and this is on my list.

Sweet! I like when people brew this... And i love when people say "going to brew this AGAIN" makes my day :mug:

Jealous! Wish i was brewing. Stuck behind my work computer... Brewday isn't for 2 more days :(

I vote picutres! PICS!

I'm brewing this on the 4th of July. (Except I'm using Mosaic and Citra at a 2:1 ratio. May be a mistake, but gotta try it.)

How many volumes to carb? Say, 2.4?

By my calcs, the grain bill gives the target OG (1.052) if you get ~80% efficiency for 5.0 gal post boil. If you like to use a post-boil volume of 5.5 or 6.0 gal to end up with 5.0 gal packaged -- or if your efficiency is lower -- then you should add some grain. I saw some posters got a low OG, so that's why I mention it. I make a non-standard batch size (~7 gal), so I adjust every recipe anyway.

I'm brewing this on the 4th of July. (Except I'm using Mosaic and Citra at a 2:1 ratio. May be a mistake, but gotta try it.)

How many volumes to carb? Say, 2.4?

By my calcs, the grain bill gives the target OG (1.052) if you get ~80% efficiency for 5.0 gal post boil. If you like to use a post-boil volume of 5.5 or 6.0 gal to end up with 5.0 gal packaged -- or if your efficiency is lower -- then you should add some grain. I saw some posters got a low OG, so that's why I mention it. I make a non-standard batch size (~7 gal), so I adjust every recipe anyway.

I think my problem with the lower efficency was a bad crush on the wheat malt. I crushed 7.5kg of pale ale used 2.5kg for this beer and 5Kg for another beer. I hit my numbers prefectly with the other beer so it must have been the wheat malt.

In about 2 weeks time I can tell if this beer is worth rebrewing.
I do mostly BIAB so next time I'm going to pulverise it or at least run it two times through the mill. :ban:

So for two days it has been at 1.007 and today I threw 1oz of mosaic in the bucket and upped the temperature to 22.5 deg to make sure it finishes. I want to bottle on Sunday so hopefully 3 days is long enough frog dry hopping. In two weeks or so I'll report back. :mug:

Back