boiling my wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Open, you want some boil off to reach your desired batch size, assuming you calculated for that. Also, leaving the lid off allows for the release of dimethyl sulfides, DMS, that can cause off flavors.

If you're having trouble keeping a boil going you can partially cap it. Even covering maybe a third of the opening can increase your boil and not make much of a difference in DMS or boil off.

If you're having trouble keeping a boil going you can partially cap it. Even covering maybe a third of the opening can increase your boil and not make much of a difference in DMS or boil off.

I have done this method because I am on a crappy apartment stove so I needed to keep in extra heat when possible, but you don't want to cover it the whole way.

I cover it until it starts boiling, electric glass top take a little while for it to reach boiling point with that much liquid.

Full boil? Partial boil? Extract? All-Grain?

Extract has most of the DMS boiled off, so a bigger concern is boil over. I'd you are doing full boil to want to make sure you evaporate enough water.

Back