Growlers & Champagne Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sselig

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to bottle in a screw top growler? Do you think it will hold pressure?

Also, I have a few champagne bottles that seem to have larger diameter mouths. Does anyone make large diameter bottle caps?

A growler won't work for carb'ing in the bottle (I hear they'd explode) but they are good for taking beer with you after filling them from a keg.

growlers are for transporting ALREADY CARBONATED beer. the glass will not withstand the pressure required to carbonate beer at room temperature.

the champaign bottles are meant to be corked, not capped. you can cork beer, but you arent going to find any caps.

Has anyone ever tried to bottle in a screw top growler? Do you think it will hold pressure?

Also, I have a few champagne bottles that seem to have larger diameter mouths. Does anyone make large diameter bottle caps?

You'll need to cork it and then secure it with a wire bale and cap. DO NOT just cork it, the pressure from carbing can blow the cork out.

Bear419 said:
You'll need to cork it and then secure it with a wire bale and cap. DO NOT just cork it, the pressure from carbing can blow the cork out.

Aren't some champaign bottles made to accept a cap? I have a couple and I was under the impression that I could cap it by turning around the metal plates on my capper.

Most Champagne bottles will take a slightly larger cap (I want to say 29mm?), and a few (typically California sparkling wines) will take a standard bottle cap. You do need to have the appropriate caps and crown for your capper, though.

I've carb'd several beers in growlers that did fine. i DID, however, have one explode - i had put whole leaf hops in the growler at the bottling time (it was an experiment) and I had taken the growler out of a dark cabinet, set it on the counter near a very sunny window and it then exploded. double IPA, wet hops, and brown glass everywhere. Thank god no one was in the room at the time. Smelled great, however.

Personally, I think you CAN do it with polyseal caps.
z38-400p-2.jpg

But it's safer to just get lots of big 22 oz bottles. (My favorite bottles are the 24 oz and 750ml bottles from Sierra Nevada).

I have about 35 champagne bottles that I cap and reuse. . I have 6 that have the larger diameter mouth. Ill look for the poly caps During the champagne making process bottles are aged with caps. Once they are finished aging, they are corked.

I might try a growler on a low carbonated summer ale. I'll let y'all know if it works.

sselig said:
I have about 35 champagne bottles that I cap and reuse. . I have 6 that have the larger diameter mouth. Ill look for the poly caps During the champagne making process bottles are aged with caps. Once they are finished aging, they are corked.

I might try a growler on a low carbonated summer ale. I'll let y'all know if it works.

Looking back through the posts, my bottles are probably sparking wine bottles and I will try the poly caps on the growler.

Back