adding sugar to fermenting wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkwright

Reaction score
I no longer have a secondary ... I know yeast will cannibilize dead yeast when there's not enough sugar to go around putting sulpher in the wine.

If I add sugar as fermentaion slows down is it possible to keep it in a stage of primary fermitation untill the abv% kills off the yeast?

Don't have the money for another secondary and mine cracked today while I was cleaning. >.<

I'm no expert but I think you will be fine. I have a apfelwein thats at 9% and .996 with Montrachet thats been sitting in the primary since January and it hasn't seemed to effect anything or have any sulpher tastes.

you can add sugar but you will probably end up with a champagne hooch taste...

If you keep adding sugar, you'll still have a ton of lees and a wide headspace. I'd invest in a carboy, buy some jug wine, apple cider or something that comes in jugs, etc. You really need to rack off of the lees and reduce headspace.

Back