Mead not clearing... any help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Focus

Reaction score
So I put together a straight up 3-lb honey, 1 gal water mead back in October and set it aside in a probably-too-warm part of my kitchen. I used red star pasteur champagne yeast, so I didn't think much about the temp. I racked once about three months ago or more.

Now, it's still not clearing - at least not enought to bottle as far as I can tell. In fact, it's pretty much as clear as it was when I racked the first time. What should I do? Go ahead and bottle? Wait it out? Add a Campden tablet, then bottle?

What will clarify it and make me ready to bottle so I can drink this stuff sometime before the next decade?

Any advise would be appreciated...

Focus

Yea, if it's completely done fermenting then cold stabilizing it for a week or two should fine it out a little more. You can go the chemical fining route, but personally I don't like additives. If you have the equipment (or the money to buy the equipment,) get a wine filter. If not the worst thing that could happen is you end up with a little yeast sediment in your bottles. Doesn't look wonderful but it won't hurt ya.

A bottle of five month old that I swore was as clear as could be has already dropped some sediment in the bottle. I might risk racking it out of the bottle into a new one if I end up giving it away, but otherwise I don't mind it.

mike

I would say that racking once in 6 months isn't adequate. Rack it again. I wouldn't even consider bottling this until it's clear and not dropping any sediment. After you rack, if it's done fermenting, I'd do the cold storage thing. That should cause the "stuff" to drop out.

You can use finings if you have to, if it's still not clear after another 3 months or so.

Back