No shortage of recipes out there, but there's a resource I'm looking for...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badducky

Reaction score
Howdy,

I'm having fun and all, but there's a single resource I'd love to see that is hard to find.

I'm looking at the BJCP-style guidelines for different styles of beer, and find them fascinating and frustrating. What I would love to see is a recipe guide for all of those styles that only has exactly one recipe per style, as a very basic, pure, simple version of the style, using extracts with the occasional partial grain mashes as needed.

Again, there's a thousand recipes all over the place, particularly when it comes to Stouts and IPAs, but I'd love a resource that gives just a very basic, acceptable version of each style, in its simplest form, so I, as a beginner, can grow in my understanding of my new hobby.

In fact, I think it would be very helpful if a more experienced homebrewer could put a thread together linking to very basic, very simple versions of different styles, so us beginners can try and get a good foundation of what is what with the different styles.

Heck, if there was a book with this information, I'd buy it.

Thanks,

Badducky

Search the recipe section at the top of the forums page. They're listed by style,then the forum for that style will say if it's extract,partial mash,or all grain...even multiple on some. You can check out the recipes in my profile for some all extract recipes I've posted. The APA & IPA are pretty basic,easy & tasty. I've tried to design some that way to be cheaper to make,but still full of flavor/aroma. Not to mention descent ABV.
There are books,like brewing classic styles that you may find useful.
* Dang steve,ya beat me to it!

Check out the book: Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainashef (sp?). It has exactly what you are looking for... One recipe (sometimes two) for each of the BJCP styles. These are all ones that Jamil won awards for too, so you can count on them being representative.

For even more info style by style listen to the brewing network podcasts for the early Jamil shows. He goes into more info on each style. (one style per show for the first 2 years I think). Good info!

I have been looking for something similar, and maybe it's in the literature. I don't know.

I want a breakdown of different styles as far as composition. Namely, I want to know typical grains appropriate for disperate styles, as well as the base percentages. Notes as far as suggestions for hops that are appropriate would also be nice.

So a recipe for and IPA would tell percentages for base malt, specialty grains, as well as suggested hops, just as a baseline for the style. Does such a resource exist? If so, where might I find it? If not, does it seem like a topic that could go in the wiki somewhere? I'm interested in formulating recipes, but would prefer to not have to wander around in the proverbial dark.

I've never found a resource broken down like that myself. But revvy has posted a ton of resources many of us use for research purposes. You could try that.

I have been looking for something similar, and maybe it's in the literature. I don't know.

I want a breakdown of different styles as far as composition. Namely, I want to know typical grains appropriate for disperate styles, as well as the base percentages. Notes as far as suggestions for hops that are appropriate would also be nice.

So a recipe for and IPA would tell percentages for base malt, specialty grains, as well as suggested hops, just as a baseline for the style. Does such a resource exist? If so, where might I find it? If not, does it seem like a topic that could go in the wiki somewhere? I'm interested in formulating recipes, but would prefer to not have to wander around in the proverbial dark.

Designing great beers, by ray daniels, has a breakdown of the typical malt bills, hops, etc, for various styles of beer. For each style, it tells you the average percentage of each malt, and a relative indication of how many recipes used that malt. i.e. it might tell you for pale ale than when crystal malt was present, it averaged 10% of the grain bill, and that 60% or so of recipes used crystal. The data is based on both a survey of commercial examples, and recipes that made the second round of the National Homebrewers Conference.

Designing great beers, by ray daniels, has a breakdown of the typical malt bills, hops, etc, for various styles of beer. For each style, it tells you the average percentage of each malt, and a relative indication of how many recipes used that malt. i.e. it might tell you for pale ale than when crystal malt was present, it averaged 10% of the grain bill, and that 60% or so of recipes used crystal. The data is based on both a survey of commercial examples, and recipes that made the second round of the National Homebrewers Conference.

That sounds very useful. I guess I'll have to pick up that book. I was just hoping that some enterprising HBTer might have done the work for me. Oh well, it builds character, as my day would say. And God knows I could use more of that.

discnjh said:

I second that book. I found it very useful

That's Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels! I still use it, and refer to it. Although, Ray told me last summer that he is working right now on a revision as it's a bit outdated but I haven't seen that he's completed the revision.

Back