Just diagnosed Celiac...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Fuzz

Reaction score
Crap . . . .I need some help here. I've made several beers before, but all from kits. I've got 2 on the go right now :mad: Anyway I was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction for brewing from scratch glutten free. I have no expereince with any boiling etc, and am a bit overwhelmed looking at al the threads here. Any easy recipe to get started on? I live in a big city, so should be able to find supplies.

Thanks.

This is probably a good place to start:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/awesome-gluten-free-mcgee-beer-recipe-242668/

You can even buy it in kit form.

I've had good results with converting extract pale ale recipes using 4 parts sorghum to 1 part cane sugar to substitute for malt extract. If the recipe calls for 5 lbs of malt, use 4 lbs of sorghum and one pound of cane sugar. The cane sugar dries out the sorghum's sweetness.

Yep, I'd start off with an extract brew and sorghum as your base. If you want to buy a kit, I've tried Gluten-Free Dark Ale Beer Kit with good success. You can easily just buy the ingredients for cheaper though. I think that specific recipe uses northern brewer and liberty hops.

Sorry that you were diagnosed with Celiacs.. My wife recently received the same news and we made a pact to try our hardest to maintain our lifestyle we enjoyed. So she bakes the gluten free bread and I volunteered to make the beer since we found all brands on the market to be lacking.

As the previous poster suggested the gluten free McGee is great and the gluten free shock top clone is also very good. Up until our lifestyle shift I had never brewed any beer, but I started with these and found great and easy success.

I wish you the best of brew luck and post all your questions here. There is a great community here that really likes to help people out.

Thanks guys, I'll see if I can find the ingredients here. I'm in Canada, so probably not worth the shipping hassle to buy the kit. Recipe doesn't look to difficult! Now I just need to empty my equipment of the tasty beer I can't have :( Guess I'll have lots of Christmas presents for people!

Alright just placed an order for all the ingredients form a Canadian distributor to save some $$$. It still costs $110 for 2 batches worth of stuff with shipping (figured I would double up to save on shipping costs).

The only thing I couldn't get was Rice Flakes (pre-gelatinized) so hopefully I can find those in town. It doesn't sound to exotic an ingredient? I'll post in the other thread when I get a chance to make some up.

FYI, don't use any of your old stuff (fermenters, spoons etc) for gluten free beer. Buy brand new stuff.

Metal and glass is ok to reuse if it hasn't got any scratches. What types of beers did you like to drink before getting your diagnosis?

I'm 3+ years in as a Celiac and 1 year in as a gluten free brewer. This year has definitely been the most fun :)

I made kits before, all very good, from stout to pilsner. I like most any beer!

Do I really need to get rid of everything? wouldn't sanitizing ensure it is clean enough? I don't plan on replacing all of my kitchen cooking utensils, should I do that too?

Spaced brings up a good point - and one not related only to brewing. Depending on the degree of Celiac's disease, you may not have to worry. I have one friend who is assured to go to the ER if food is even prepared in a room where gluten food is prepared. Another is OK as long as there isn't gluten products in the food she consume. Some people are even less affected.

Judging by the fact that you stated you just "found out" and had been regularly ingesting gluten products recently (ie beer) I would say your current utensils are fine. If I'm wrong, however, it may be wise to replace everything.

I've been having acid reflux for years, but no major issues until recently. Up until monday I was eating pasta and bread. So currently, a bit of gluten isn't a problem for me. I imagine once my intestines heal they will be more sensitive to gluten, but apparently that can take up to a couple of years.

I've been having acid reflux for years, but no major issues until recently. Up until monday I was eating pasta and bread. So currently, a bit of gluten isn't a problem for me. I imagine once my intestines heal they will be more sensitive to gluten, but apparently that can take up to a couple of years.

This is definitely the case. I used to be able to tolerate gluten, and when it was making me sick (before I knew what was causing it) it would take say 12 hours to come on. Now I can have a reaction in less than 4. Certain substances just an hour.

The thing with gluten is that the sooner you cut it out as a celiac, the sooner you stop damaging your body. Also if your intestine is damaged in any way, its affecting your ability to absorb nutrients (well the ones absorbed in your intestinal tract at least).

I share pots and pans with my wife who isn't gluten free and that's fine. I do keep seperate chopping boards though (as they're plastic). I would keep what you have for now (except fermenters) but if you find you're still sick you might need to replace some items.

Beers I've really enjoyed since brewing myself has been some wheat style beers, american style pale ales and IPA's. Centennial IPA was awesome, and I've got a Cascade IPA on the way which should be great. I've heard Lagers are good gluten free but I'm not setup for climate control yet.

I liked my lager from last year. Some find them more palatable than ales. Mine from last years had a decent review by some regular drinkers, at places where they have lots of craft beer like Ashley's Home. Most couldn't tell, and one person I told ahead of time had to look for the sorgum flavor, though I did use more rice syrup than I did sorghum, and half a pound of honey.

Living in a cold climate helps for the climate control, at least the chilling part. Outside my apartment is where they keep the water heater and the furnace (and AC unit), so last year, I fermented the lager out there.

Same here. I can even handle some sharing, for example burger, no bun, no spreadables (mayo etc), no fries if the place does other fried food, and I'd expect that there would have been some gluten items on the grill. And I'm ok as long as I don't do that often. Less to worry about when I can find a place with a dedicated grill though.

Kevin, you have a recipe for that lager?

Today was a sad day, just bottled a dutch lager and racked my redwood ale. I've got about 150 bottles of gluten rich beer to give away!

On a positive note, before I get a biopsy test I am supposed to go back on gluten for a week. So I'm gonna enjoy the hell outa as many of these beers as I can!

Just trying on of the commercial gluten free beers. Gotta say, its not very good.

For that Mcgee recipe, the only thing I couldn't find was the rice flakes (pre-gelatinized). I did find some brown rice flakes, but I'm not sure what the pre-gelatinzed bit means? I also read in another thread that maybe I could substitute minute rice? Anyone familiar with that, or can I use the brown rice flakes?

There's very few out there right now, which is just one of the reasons we're all into doing this I think.
Pre-gelatnized tends to mean that it's already been gelatanized (partially cooked, like minute rice) as far as I know. You'll still need to convert the starch to sugars of course.

My numbers were a bit sloppy last year, but I'm fairly sure it was 3 jars of rice syrup (approx 3 lbs 15oz, lundberg) and two varied containers of sorghum extract approx 2lbs 12 oz.
1oz Saaz @ 60
.5 oz Saas @ 15
8 oz honey @ 5
Corn sugar for carbonation.
I brewed this in feburary and set it outside in a keg with a blowoff tube, and let it ferment out in my AC/heating unit. Then racked into another keg where corn sugar was added to acheive the carbonation. It wasn't that temperature stable out there, but it was enough that it turned out pretty well. While above freezing, it was still cold enough to cause a drawn out fermentation and next time I'm going to try wrapping it in a blanket or thermal keg/carboy jacket. Was best after June apparently. I have notes saying that I could taste the honey at that point. I'll probably do something similar once I determine the average temperature out there. The apartment complex replaced the AC/furnace unit out there with a different make.

Please forgive me as I have never brewed anything except kits. When you say "still convert the starch to sugars" I assume that is what this step does:
"Heat 3 gal H20 to 160F and steep rice flakes for 30 mins, holding liquid around 160F." or is there something else I would need to do to the minute rice?

All your talk about temperature control, how cool is ideal to ferment lager? I live up in the frozen north for 6 months of the year, my basement is about 60°F. Would that work?

Thanks!

The thing about grains, including rice that has been gelatinized, is that they are starch. Starch is converted to sugar due to enzymes. See How to Brew - By John Palmer - Brewing Your First All-Grain Beer There's a bit to it, but without enzymes, nothing will happen to the starch. It stays starch. Starch isn't fermentable. Sugar is.
So, without an enzyme source, the rice really won't do much, but create a starch haze and maybe some flavor (if it's roasted). Normally, for gluten able brewers, the enzyme source is contained within barley. For us, we have to find our own malted grain, or add amylase. However the obtainable amylase is alpha. So you may wish to add some alpha amylase to the rice steep.

As for the temperature, it depends on the yeast. For example, fermentis/saflager says their S23 has an optimal flavor range of 9c-15c, ideally 12c. (48-59F). It's not impossible to go outside of those ranges however, it's just that the target flavor may wind up being different. I'd think that 60 should be fine, though if you have a basement and you can really seal it to keep heat from going down there too much, it ought to drop a few degrees.

FYI, don't use any of your old stuff (fermenters, spoons etc) for gluten free beer. Buy brand new stuff.

Metal and glass is ok to reuse if it hasn't got any scratches. What types of beers did you like to drink before getting your diagnosis?

I'm 3+ years in as a Celiac and 1 year in as a gluten free brewer. This year has definitely been the most fun :)

Had you noticed effects from re-used equipment? Or is this a bit of extra caution?

Had you noticed effects from re-used equipment? Or is this a bit of extra caution?

More so extra caution. Have only been sick off one batch but I've put that down to using a different brand of yeast. That's why I stick so tightly to fermentis brand.

I replaced that fermenter just to be safe.

Well, swung by the brew store and made a list. Bunch of stuff added to the Christmas wish list! :)

The_Fuzz said:
Well, swung by the brew store and made a list. Bunch of stuff added to the Christmas wish list! :)

Good luck!

I just started a 5 gallon batch of GF lager and I know I am going to have a hard time waiting for the entire 60ish day lager process.. My wife is still very surprised how good the beers have turned out. In my opinion we have not suffered with the diet change one bit.

:eek:ff topic: I'm jealous of anyone that ha brew store close by. I made a list and my wife won't buy anything because shipping is high.
Back on topic I brew all grain and gf for the celiac wife and use same everything. I clean and soak as soon as the wort/beer is done passing through or out and soak it with sanitizer for an hour. We haven't had any problems so far. I'm thinking she might not be as sensitive.
However, after a few recent procurements, I will be separating the equipment.
She is actually going to brew with me tomorrow, we are doing a gf session ale. I'm upping the ibus on her a little at a time hehe. She is used to redbridge, an we had burgers and beers out last night and 2 of those were 10$. :(

Finally got my kit started. On the plus side of this, I have a biopsy scheduled for Jan 14th, and until then they want me eating gluten again. Equivalent to 3 slices of bread a day. Well, I've got a cellar full of beer! I wonder how many beers worth of gluten are in 3 slices of bread? :D Gotta be at least 5! Time to break out those stouts I've cellar-ed for a year.

If you had one last chance for gluten beer, what would you want? My homemade stout is the top of my list.

Sorry if a little off topic here:

I had my two favorite websites up in two separate tabs in Firefox, and I thought my mind was playing tricks on me.. I was reading a post by some guy calling himself The_Fuzz and when I switched back to the other tab, I was reading a post by some other guy calling himself The_Fuzz. I haven't even been drinking that much tonight, but it still took me a few minutes to put two and two together..

Cheers to a fellow homebrewing Farker! :tank:

/carry on

Finally got my kit started. On the plus side of this, I have a biopsy scheduled for Jan 14th, and until then they want me eating gluten again. Equivalent to 3 slices of bread a day. Well, I've got a cellar full of beer! I wonder how many beers worth of gluten are in 3 slices of bread? :D Gotta be at least 5! Time to break out those stouts I've cellar-ed for a year.

If you had one last chance for gluten beer, what would you want? My homemade stout is the top of my list.

Lucky bastard.

I would enjoy

Dog Fish Head 90 minute IPA, Stone IPA, Old motor Oil (Porter), Youngs Double Chocolate Stout and pretty much anything else I could get my hands on :D

Takes this opportunity to drink your favorite types of beers. If you want to clone them later, it's important to know what the originals tasted like.

Sorry if a little off topic here:

I had my two favorite websites up in two separate tabs in Firefox, and I thought my mind was playing tricks on me.. I was reading a post by some guy calling himself The_Fuzz and when I switched back to the other tab, I was reading a post by some other guy calling himself The_Fuzz. I haven't even been drinking that much tonight, but it still took me a few minutes to put two and two together..

Cheers to a fellow homebrewing Farker! :tank:

/carry on

LOL That's funny stuff. I'm all over the interwebs. Were you reading my post in the Snowflake Gluten thread?

As for the beers, I should probably head to the beer store and take a look around. I'm sure there are a few old favourites I can get to. I've also been eating lots of pasta, as the GF types just aren't the same. 2 weeks to go! I think I'm gonna put on 10lbs in that time!

Enjoy Fuzz, when my wife was scheduled to go in for her biopsy she went nuts with the pasta/desserts. We both felt like we were going to gain ten pounds before it was over.

LOL That's funny stuff. I'm all over the interwebs. Were you reading my post in the Snowflake Gluten thread?

That's the one. Very divisive threads like that one certainly bring out the loonies... It's always good for some entertainment.

So, what beer(s) did you go with?

Well, still recovering from new years, and just drinking as much of my homebrew as I can. I have a case that are over a year old that taste fantastic, plus a couple bottles of coffee stout and 3 other batches I have just bottled in the last month. They are all really good, but I should get to the beer store soon . . .

Back