Oh No! Pulp! Help me with the Pulp!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mew

Reaction score
I just started my first wine from whole fruit, what should be a sparkling raspberry wine. I used a recipe on Jeck Keller's site, but I didn't anticipate the amount of pulp that whole fruit would make, so now I have a 4 L carboy full of chunky raspberry juice. I don't think I'll be able to rack it with this much pulp. I suppose I should have used a muslin bag or something. What do I do now? I actually haven't pitched any yeast yet; I've only mixed the ingredients and added a campden tablet. I would pour it out and streain it, but I'm afraid I'd oxidize it. But maybe that's not a prblem because I haven't pitched the yeast yet. Help!

With wine the pulp is too slippery and contains too much sugar to strain until after abput nine days of ferm.
Are you sure youre supposed to pull the pulp out now or after is fermnts.?

All of my wines use the pulp for only a couple of days, then the pulp is discarded and the juice is fermented. If you haven't even started fermentation, you don't have to worry about oxidation. Use a big straining bag to line your primary bucket, and put everything in that. Then, you tie off the bag so you can remove it when it's time. Always use a pulp bag with fruit!

Thanks for the help. I should've used a straining bag.

Back