Lots of Hop fragments in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarCityBrewMaster

Reaction score
I made the AG Haus Pale Ale from Bee Cave Brewery and decided to give dry hopping a try. I racked to a secondary on top of an oz of Cascade pellets. I didn't put them in a grain bag or anything and let them soak for around 10 days.

Last night I bottled. The aroma and flavor is really nice and one of the first good hoppy beers I have made to this point. But my last bottle didn't feel up all the way so I poured it in a glass to have a look and a sip or 5. It's here that I realized how many fragments were floating in the beer, kind of disappointing. They settle to the bottom but after every sip they swarm the glass again like a tornado. It's not a ridiculous amount but definitely noticeable.

I plan on drinking the beer as if there is nothing different about it. I'm not going to let a glass full of hop fragments stop me but I was curious to hear others opinions on what I currently have and the best way to fix it in the future.

Thanks!

I actually just had my first clogged keg from hops the other night. Was the first time I did not use a bag. I'd suggest if you do not want to use a bag cold crash the carboy before you rack the beer to the keg. I like dry hopping in the keg using a hop bag suspended with SS weights or marbles with some unflavored dental floss.

Try using a sanitized strainer/hop bag on the end of your auto-siphon (the end that goes into the fermentor) and a couple of sanitized rubber bands to hold it in place.

Your bottles will be fine though. The hop fragments should settle at the bottom of the bottle with the yeast sediment. As long as your pour is good, you shouldn't get any in the glass.

When I dry hopped before, most of them just settled to the bottom of the carboy after a week or so. Also, when racking to the bottling bucket, I put the racking cane in a grain bag so that the bag would help to filter out some of the extra fragments.

But once you put the bottles in the fridge for a couple days, the hop fragments should settle to the bottom nicely and you should get few actually going into the glass.

I always use a hop bag. Never had a problem. And I agree, if your pour is good you should have no problems. You don't pour the entire bottle anyway, right?

I always put one of these inside a nylon paint strainer bag, and put the whole thing over the inlet end of my racking cane. Secure with a rubber band, and put the whole thing in sanitizer until I'm ready to rack. I've never had any problems with particles getting into my bottling bucket, and I've never had a clog.

Both items are readily found at Home Depot or Lowes.

Back