Recommended hops for dry hopping pale ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gawine

Reaction score
So i plan to dry hop my next pale ale or Ipa, i was going to use cascades but just read about some other very attractive sounding hops: Citra, Columbus, Centennial... I want a nice big hoppy nose. What is everyone's thoughts on these dry hops? I could brew 4 batches with them all over the year but figured I may as well see what every one else's experiences have been!! txhx

:mug:

Some good hops for dry hopping a pale ale or IPA would be Cascade, Amarillo, Citra, and Centennial to name a few. Columbus is more or less a bittering hop. My current pale ale was dry hopped with Cascade and it's wonderful. Then again, I like Cascade. My IPA that's going will be getting Centennial.

i heard an interesting interview with glen tinseth (the tinseth IBU formula dude) and he was urging people to try dry hopping with hops that people don't usually use. he said chinook resulted in a very nice aroma when dry hopped... it was an episode of brew strong, check it out.

that said, i'm an amarillo guy when dry hopping and always love the nose it gives.

Yeah, thanks for the info. i'm fairly new to brewing so this could get interesting with all the different varieties available!! that's the fun part to me really. different yeasts, hops, etc. can do an ounce of one for two weeks or a blend of several. lots of possibilities!

Back