How to do a Strawberry Blonde?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shayn80

Reaction score
Wondering here how to make a Strawberry Blonde Ale? My Buddy has a Hefeweizen do we just at strawberry puree to it? Please advise I don't wanna mess this up. And, thank you!

A hefeweizen is a wheat beer, and it likely will have clove or banana flavors. A blonde is not the same.

You should find a recipe for a blonde ale. After primary fermentation is done, you would add strawberry puree (preferably pasturized) to a secondary and rack the beer on it for as long as it takes to get to the amount of fruit flavor you desire. Then bottle.

You might want to take a look at some of the other fruit-driven beers (raspberry or cherry wheat, other fruit blondes) to get an idea of the process.

Unfortunately I have a Strawberry Blonde that's currently in the secondary. So I don't yet know how it is.

I actually got the idea from someone on this board. He said it came out pretty well.

It's the Texas Blonde Ale from AHS (it's under the 50 cent beers) and I racked it in the secondary with 38 ounces of frozen strawberries.

I was told to makes sure they're without unsweetened.

I need to keep it in the secondary for another few weeks, I can let you know how it turns out.

It's the Texas Blonde Ale from AHS (it's under the 50 cent beers) and I racked it in the secondary with 38 ounces of frozen strawberries.

That's exactly like I've done it. 3-5 lbs of strawberries (frozen). I pasturized them in a couple cups of water at 160 for 20 minutes. Let them cooled before adding to secondary. DO THIS IN A BUCKET. Or else you will have a mess. Add pectic enzyme if you want to be sure its super clear.

I've done this with simple American wheat kits too. Came out just as good. Blueberry blonde made this way was also great.

I also support AHS Texas Blond Ale for my fruit beers! For my strawberry I do a full extract kit (because it's a really easy kit) and secondary with 3lbs of frozen strawberries (thawed). It's been a big hit since the first time I made it!

Bottling some tomorrow actually!

Unfortunately I have a Strawberry Blonde that's currently in the secondary. So I don't yet know how it is.

I actually got the idea from someone on this board. He said it came out pretty well.

I was told to makes sure they're without unsweetened.

I need to keep it in the secondary for another few weeks, I can let you know how it turns out.

Cool I'd love to know how it turns out and please keep in the loop! You rock!

I hear great things about Oregon Fruit Products.. its already canned so you dont have to worry about pasteurizing it, just dump it in the secondary and rack beer on top. No need to worry about fresh fruit infecting your beer. My LHBS sells it and Jamil has nothing but good things to say about it. I just picked up 4 cans of it today.

I recently brewed a 5g batch of Biermunchers Centennial Blonde and split into 2. With one batch I added 3 pounds of frozen strawberries which I halved and then steeped in 160 degree water for 10 minutes. I added the strawberries straight to the primary carboy after fermentation was dying down. I got some additional activity for a few days from the sugars in the strawberrries. I racked off the fruit after 2 weeks to a secondary to help clear. Bottling this in a few days so not sure just yet how it turned out but a recent hydrometer sample tasted good - a little tart, a little fruit and very smooth. THe color is a muted pink. I brewed this for SWMBO who loves Fruli (a beer we used to drink in Europe which is basically half beer/half strawberry fruit juice).

There are definately several ways to do this from what I have read. Fruit puree, fresh fruit, frozen fruit. All have various pros and cons. I went with frozen fruit because it is more sanitary than fresh out of the bag and cheaper too. I didn't use puree as I wanted a little more subtle flavor this first time around and it was easy to pick up a bag at my grocery store a block away. Let us know how it turns out.

Cool I'd love to know how it turns out and please keep in the loop! You rock!

Alright.. So my Strawberry Blonde has been bottled for 13 days. It's quite good. If I were to do it again I'd probably only throw in 20 ounces of strawberries. The flavor is quite strong.

I would recommend anyone to make a similar beverage.

I'm considering a fermentation with pineapple.

Back