Herms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boss1267

Reaction score
Hello to all,

I am new in the forum and coming from Belgium. I’m building up a new system based on HERMS and as I know it is popular system in US I have few questions (I have an open question concerning the HE (heat exchanger)
Heat exchanger will be a unique part of the system and I will fit copper pipe inside + heating element (hot liquor or copper tank will be use for sparge water and for boiling only)
I will brew approx 20kg 44lbs of malt in mash tun and amount of water will be approx 16 gal during recirculation step.
I think to use 25 feet of copper pipe (15mm outside 13mm inside =0.51 inches inside and 0.59 inch outside)
The heating element will be 4 KW on 220V
How much water do I need to put in the heat exchanger? Do you have any advice and or recommendation? I am looking for some heat exchanger info (for same batch qty)
PID will control the heating element and PT 100 probe will be placed at the exit of HERMS copper pipe.

Tnx to all

Pierre

Hello to all,

I am new in the forum and coming from Belgium. I’m building up a new system based on HERMS and as I know it is popular system in US I have few questions (I have an open question concerning the HE (heat exchanger)
Heat exchanger will be a unique part of the system and I will fit copper pipe inside + heating element (hot liquor or copper tank will be use for sparge water and for boiling only)
I will brew approx 20kg 44lbs of malt in mash tun and amount of water will be approx 16 gal during recirculation step.
I think to use 25 feet of copper pipe (15mm outside 13mm inside =0.51 inches inside and 0.59 inch outside)
The heating element will be 4 KW on 220V
How much water do I need to put in the heat exchanger? Do you have any advice and or recommendation? I am looking for some heat exchanger info (for same batch qty)
PID will control the heating element and PT 100 probe will be placed at the exit of HERMS copper pipe.

Tnx to all

Pierre

Just enough to water to cover the copper coil. As long as the coil is covered, the amount of water doesn't matter.

Hello,

Copper pipe will be used for HERMS system, itis the recirculation of wort via heat exchanger.

you are better of with a small 2-5g heat exchanger, because you don't want to keep heating alot of water. more water in the heat exchanger will need alot more of energy to keep it at the set point.
you be a recirculating 16g so i think that you need to double your heating element or copper pipe. if i was you i would double both, 50' of copper and 2 heating elements so this way you have no problems.
:mug:

you are better of with a small 2-5g heat exchanger, because you don't want to keep heating alot of water. more water in the heat exchanger will need alot more of energy to keep it at the set point.
you be a recirculating 16g so i think that you need to double your heating element or copper pipe. if i was you i would double both, 50' of copper and 2 heating elements so this way you have no problems.
:mug:

I do not see any reason for 2 heating elements if your only doing a 2-5g heat exchanger. 1 will be plenty. However if you have the choice to use 50' then I would do so with a 16g recirc.

-bn

if he is gona use only one heating element to heat up 16g of wort thru the heat exchanger coil it might be not enough for this volume of wort. two heater elements not gona have to work "overtime" to keep up with a heat transfer plus if he be doing multiple protein rests it will take less time for wort to get to the "set" point, if you use only one it might have a "hard time" with all that wort and shorter life spand.
if he uses 50' of coil and one heating element its gona work, 25' of coil and one element might not be strong enough to handle 16G of wort.
well it depends on this set up too how much heat he looses in a MT, pipes,pump, what distance wort has to travel.

Hello,

Tnx for your comments, nice to have some infos advice.

To povide more info, I will use Iwaki pump MD30RZ
The copper pipe that will fit into heat exchanger will be 1/2".
I am thinking tu use a 4 - 5 gal tun for the heat echanger
Copper pipe : 0.51 inch diameter inside
Lenght copper pipe : 30 ft
heating element : 4 kw on 220V

PT 100 probe will be placed at the exit of heat exchanger (controlled by programmable PID that can handle 9 set up)
Pierre

No problem. I would put temperature probe close to the sparge arm to mimimase temperature difference.

Back