Best Amber ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MizzouBrewer

Reaction score
My Dad is a huge fat tire fan but i'm trying to expand his palate by giving him a sampling of other amber ales. I'm not a huge Amber Ale fan so any advice on good amber ales or anything a fat tire lover would like would be great! Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas

Mac & Jacks African Amber, but problem is it's only available by tap, they don't bottle. Might try to find a guy close to the Mac & Jacks brewery and see if he'd be willing to get a growler and take it home and bottle some for you. I'd do it if I was closer. It's really that good. My wife's favorite beer.

My favorite Amber is Rogue Dead Guy, with the M&J coming in 2nd.

We both like Widmer Drop Top as well.

Mac & Jacks African Amber, but problem is it's only available by tap, they don't bottle. Might try to find a guy close to the Mac & Jacks brewery and see if he'd be willing to get a growler and take it home and bottle some for you. I'd do it if I was closer. It's really that good. My wife's favorite beer.

+1 On MJ AA.
Gettin it to MO is gonna be tough though

if you can find it, fort collins brewery's Common grounds Amber is really good.

As far as a kit goes, I did AHS gold seal amber awhile back, and i liked it far more than fat tire.

Troegs Hopback Amber Ale. Could be the best I have ever had. .. .

or Troegs Nugget Nectar - a bit more potent in terms of hops and alcohol, and very good.

I find that the normal style guidelines for ambers are not hoppy enough for me, but I like my IPAs to be amber in color. Both of the above Troeg's beers meet that description.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Rogue Dead Guy is a not an Amber Ale, it is a German Maibock.

Thanks for all the replies! Unfortunately my Dad doesn't share my obsession with hops. I'm with you guys the hoppier the amber the better, but I'm looking for something maltier for my Dad. Keep em coming

Alaskan Amber or Otter Creek Copper - both a Alt Bier Style ... very malt forward.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Rogue Dead Guy is a not an Amber Ale, it is a German Maibock.

You might be right, but we go to a local bar and she gets a pint of M&J and I get a pint of Dead Guy and they look nearly the same. The taste is similar to us (not some kind of beer pro), with M&J hitting the hops up front and finishing with malt, and Dead Guy starting with malt and finishing with hops.

Thanks for all the replies! Unfortunately my Dad doesn't share my obsession with hops. I'm with you guys the hoppier the amber the better, but I'm looking for something maltier for my Dad. Keep em coming

See above, I like a maltier Amber, that's why I like Rogue. I'm not a fan of hoppy beers, and prefer an Amber to a Pale. Amber is 25-40 IBU, where Pale is 30-45 IBU. I tend to prefer the Ambers toward the lower end of the IBU scale. I do like Drop Top because the IBU is actually 20, lower than the style would call for. It also uses a little lactose and gives a different profile than most Ambers. Needless to say, I don't like most IPAs. The only IPA I actually liked was Mac & Jack's (tasted at the brewery). Not nearly as hoppy and bitter as the majority.

If my writings seem rambles, I've had 4 M&J already and I'm working on a 5th Amber at home now (Costco's Kirkland brand, $17.99 for 24, and they come in plain bottles that are great for re-using, it's not what I would call a great beer though). :ban:

I just had Bell's amber ale and it is fantastic. I like a maltier beer and they do a great with theirs. You should even be able to find it down there in the horrible neck of the woods that you live in!

If you are ever in NC or surrounding states, Highlander Brewing Co makes a delicious Amber - it is their Gaelic Ale. Just tried it earlier this week, really peaked my interest in ambers.

Their Oatmeal Stout is very good as well.

Mac and Jacks will also fill up a corny keg for $55 too.

http://www.macandjacks.com/retail.php

Brewed with ale yeast, so it's probably not true to any style. Amber Ale is a bit of a made-up style anyway.

+1 to Bell's Amber and Alaskan Amber, both phenomenal brews. Alaskan is really only available in the PNW/West Coast/Colorado area, but you can order their beer from Liquid Solutions, including the Amber.

You should be able to get Bell's in MO, but if not, you can get it in IL.

Whatever it is, it is certainly nothing like an authentic maibock.

It is a maibock only darker and and ale and really hoppy, sounds kinda like an amber to me frankly. St. Rogue Red is much better though.

Agree with the opinions of Troegs Hopback Amber or the Nugget Nectar (imperial version of hopback amber). Two of my favorites.

Back