Strawberry Wine: Batch #23

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I understand it, the pectic enzyme helps with clarity as well as breaking down the fruit, extracting as much as you can from them. When I pulled everything out of primary, there was no color left to the strawberry mush.

You're correct about the mouthfeel from the raisins. I'm excited to see how my variation of Ed's Apfelwein turns out with golden raisins in it.

Anybody try oaking the wine with oak chips?

this sounds so good, I may try a 1 gal batch myself to see if I like strawberry wine. I don't believe I have ever tried that flavor.

after 7 days it says after removing fruit and straining, it says to rack to secondary on the camden tablets.

From my understanding, camden tablets make an unfriendly environment for yeast and you do that when you want to stop/slow fermenting.

Is that what the intention is here? To stop fermenting after 7 days? Or am I missing something? I have always done wine from kits so this would be my first regular wine other than meads.

Wine yeast will do fine in a campden environment--that's to prevent wild yeast growth and oxidation. It's basically so I can be lazy in my racking and not mind if I pick up a bubble or two--no oxidation here!

Not to revive an old thread but the recipe posted here is fantastic. If anyone is looking for a good simple strawberry wine this is it. I have made about 30 gallons of this and it has become an annual tradition. The last batch I did I let bulk age one year and back sweetened to 1.008.

Back