Jupiter (Oatmeal) Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewTaster

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-05
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
33 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 Days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days
Additional Fermentation
Bottle Conditioned
Tasting Notes
Great Oatmeal Stout, Nice and smooth!
Here is the basic recipe I put together, still needs some refinement most likely but has a nice head and good taste. I drank 3 weeks after brewed, both kegged and bottled. I am brewing 10G of it June 22, and will be doing minor variations, but friends have REALLY enjoyed it, even people who don't usually drink stout.

Pale 2 Row 9 lbs
Flaked Oats 1.5 lbs
Crystal 77 0.5 lbs
Chocolate Malt 0.5 lbs
Roasted Barley 0.5 lbs

UK Goldings (4.7%) 0.5 oz @ 60 mins
Willamette (5.3%) 0.75 oz @ 60 mins

The oats were purchased from my local bulk barn, nothing fancy and saves alot of money. I did not do any protein rest or anything of that nature, straight into a normal mash. This is the tastiest stout I have made yet, and is going to become a mainstay in my lineup!!

Pics hopefully up soon!
:mug:

Just transferred to secondary today and had a little taste, its coming along great, and very smooth! :cross: I cant wait to get this sucker in bottles and then in my stomach!

Ive decided to give this one a try, only problem is my brew shop doesn't stock all the ingredients so Im going to have to change the recipe.

Chocolate malt - I will be substituting with Black Malt
(how much should I use ?)
Crystal malt - I will use caramunich 3
Hops - Fuggles
(how much do I need ?)
Yeast : S-04

Will this work ?
Can I add cocoa to make a choc stout ?
Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

Ive never used Black Malt, I assume it would be noticeably more bitter then the chocolate malt, so I would tone it back to maybe 1/4 of a pound. As far as hops go, fuggles should be fine, Id just try and match the IBU's, theres not alot of hop taste at all so it should sub just fine. I also think the S-04 will work well with this recipe.

As far as the cocoa goes you should be able to add it no problem, Ive done it with this recipe before, and I think it should help make up for using the Black malt instead of the chocolate malt. Ive used cocoa on another stout before, and just wanted to point out that it may leave your beer a bit cloudy, but seeing as its a stout, that should be no problem!

Im excited you are trying this, let me know how it goes!

My brew has been 10 days in the primary and Im down to 1.022 (OG was 1.067). Its tasting great.
I had to mod the recipe as my LBS didn't have certain items. :
Pale 2 Row 9 lbs
Flaked Oats 1.5 lbs
Crystal 77 0.5 lbs
Roasted Barley 1 lbs
S-04
Fuggles

The extra roasted barley comes through nicely without being too strong. Im going to wait another week before bottling.

I drank a couple on Saturday. Two weeks in the bottle. Tasting excellent. Smooooooth. Roasted barley a bit much at 1lb and a bit too malty. But its early days. Even my BMC freinds liked it.

Latest posts

Back