Dunkles Weissbier Arkador's Dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing bad will happen if you use a blowoff. Something bad might happen if you don't. Why take the risk?

Thanks for the replies. Reason I asks about the blowoff valve is because I don't have one and would have to make or buy one. But you're right I shouldn't take the risk

I've had a couple in buckets, there was a solid 2-3" of headspace during high-krausen. Even if it went up, krausen can compress a bunch in a bucket. I do put a towel under my weizen buckets, just in case, and so far, never had a spill.

I had an explosion even with the blow-off tube. Now I use an airlock, but just set the bucket lid on loose, with a little weight to hold it in place. After a few days, I check the bottom of the airlock and snap the lid down. It can still run over the top, but it won't be violent.

I just bottled this and it has quite a bit more of an orange hue than what i was expecting from a dunkelweizen. The color is similar to Masel's weiss. Has anybody else brewed this and acheived a similar color? I followed the recipe verbatim and just want to check that I didn't make a mistake.

I've had this fermenting for two weeks now and it's still not done! At a 1.020 gravity and still falling! My OG came out to 1.063. A question for those who bottled this, how much priming sugar did you use? I want to be ready so I can bottle ASAP. It tastes good so far and am very much looking forward to it! Thanks

With liquid yeast, I've found that it takes significantly more time than with dry yeast. My batch with WB-06 took <10 days and 3068 and WLP300 both took about 4 weeks finish up (with 1L starters). They're really slow with this brew.

I used the wyeast smack pack so I'm assuming that's why it is taking so long. No big deal though. And for anyone planning to use an airlock for this, I'd recommend a blowoff tube instead. I ended up with a huge mess in my freezer and it smells like old stale beer

I used danstar wheat and had activity within 12 hours. I also used an s-airlock and had no issues. The only times I have ever had issues with an s- airlock is when I have to re-pitch the yeast in wheat beers.

Hi Folks! Looking for a good weisse bier recipe to brew for a friend. I started with 2 to 2-1/2 gallon batches of ciders and have brewed a nut brown ale and two stouts. The nut brown ale turned out to be very good. The stouts are still bottle conditioning. I have limited equipment. I have acquired a couple of bottling buckets that I can use for fermentation and leave plenty of head space. I don't have a blow off tube. I don't have any way of seriously controlling fermentation temperature...house ranges from 60F to 72F. I've spiked on unexpected warm days at 74F, but other brews have been ok so far. I would likely use a rehydrated dry yeast and ice-bath wort chill. I do not have kegging capability; only bottling. So, I'm looking for opinions if this recipe will work for me, of I need to change anything considering my conditions/limitations and how much priming sugar I should use for bottling. (I will be reducing to a 2-1/2 gallon recipe...I assume my brew shop can help me with that. Unless I could do the boil in my 23 quart pressure cooker base and split the wort between the two buckets? It would probably be simpler to process two smaller batches, since I don't have a chiller.) Any advice would be welcome!!!

Just got ours bottled tonight. So good.
It went ballistic during primary fermentation - if we didn't have a blow off tube we'd have been screwed.
Thanks for posting a great recipe, that even n00bs can rock.

Thanks! I made one for a batch of nut brown ale. Tubing attached to airlock and run into malt jug, half filled with water. Worked like a champ!

Putting this on my schedule for about a month from now. May add some coriander and orange peel. Anybody use these and can suggest what amount to put in? Beersmith says to add with 5 mins leftin boil. Does that sound about right?

Was looking at yeasts available from LHBS and wondering if anyone has tried this with Mangrove Jacks Bavarian Wheat?

I scaled this up a tad to put 5.5 gal in the fermentor. Now the 60 min Cascade is only giving me 19 IBUs. Any opinions on what a 20 min addition of Citra would do to the flavor of this beer? 1/2 ounce takes the IBUs to 29.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Me and a friend of mine tried out the recipe. First, we used alluminium pots, and we found a little bit difficult to get the water at right temperature during the steeping of the grains. We were one degree less or one degree more the right temp almost half the 30 minutes...
Another thing is that here (Italy) that yeast does not exist so we used German Wheat 3333. I hope it' ok.
Also... the grains.... we didn't have that grains that time so we used other types to match the style. One is Caramunich 120 and another is Aromatic.
I hope they fit...
Well...
At a last glance we almost changed the recipe....Next time we'll try to get as close as possible...

Wort at 24 degrees Celsius showed 1062 OG.
Pitched yeast at 22 degrees but in our basement the temperature dropped dramatically to 12 (this yeast works at 17-21).
So we moved the fermenter into our sitting room :) nice 20° C!
It seems that fermentation is proceeding slowly due to low temperature pitching. The fermenter was at 12° for one day.
We hope fermentation will "explode" as soon as possible... Now it lokks like....lazy....no kreusen!

Cross my fingers....

16 days kettle to keg. Tastes great. Thanks for the recipe!

Hope you don't mind the name change, only had so much room, (and writing with chalk suuucks&#8230;)

photo-3.jpg

HEYA!
After a very slow start (basement was too cold to start a robust fermentation) the baby sat heavenly on the yeasts for 14 days before it showed FG 1010.
We bottled it next saturday (15th March) and now we are waiting 2-3 weeks to drink it....
The only thing is that I put (don´t know how it happened) i put 5 bottles IN THE FRIDGE..........
Did i spoil my beer?
Can i "cold condition" this way or should I remove the bottles from the fridge?

It will probably still carbonate but at a much slower rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

HEYA!
After a very slow start (basement was too cold to start a robust fermentation) the baby sat heavenly on the yeasts for 14 days before it showed FG 1010.
We bottled it next saturday (15th March) and now we are waiting 2-3 weeks to drink it....
The only thing is that I put (don´t know how it happened) i put 5 bottles IN THE FRIDGE..........
Did i spoil my beer?
Can i "cold condition" this way or should I remove the bottles from the fridge?

As Andy said, they will carb VERY slowly, if at all in the fridge. I would definitely take them out. Put them at the end of the line, but once they warm up, they should condition just fine. You haven't spoiled anything. You may also want to gently turn them upside down, then back up again to get the yeast and priming sugar back into suspension after they warm back up to room temp.

Heya!
The brew came out tasty, golden-reddish colour, with low bitternes and low hop aroma. I think because our boil water was too little (2 gals).
We put 3.5 g of cane sugar for each 0.5 liter bottle; sadly, is not much carbonated and there is absolutely NO head retention.
When the beer is poured, foam instantly dissolves... What a shame!
The beer sat at 10 C for 3 weeks. I hope that longer conditioning will enhance head and bubbles....
I considered opening all the bottles to add 2g of sugar...
First thing I´ll do for sure is to swirl all bottles in case yeasts sat dormant.
What do you think?

Part way through brewing this today and it looks and smells great so far! Following recipe, except using Safale Wheat yeast. Will update when ready!

We brewed it twice - I liked it much better the first time than the second, though the differences were pretty minimal (the longer the second batch aged, the more bitter it got). It is totally a favorite of ours, and has even impressed many non beer drinkers, or even worse, Coors Light drinkers. Seriously thankful for this recipe!

16 days kettle to keg. Tastes great. Thanks for the recipe!

Hope you don't mind the name change, only had so much room, (and writing with chalk suuucks…)

You brewed it, you name it in your keezer!

Glad to see a lot of people have been enjoying this recipe!

This is sitting in the fermenter and smells incredible. Gravity has dropped to 1.015 but it looks more like a caramel hefeweizen than a reddish/brownish dunkelweizen. I'm definitely missing the chocolate roasty notes in other examples of the style. It looks/tastes more like a Hef so far. Looking forward to enjoying the final product.

Couldn't you just use 50/50 wheat to pale malt and add chocolate malt to get the color you wanted?

Hi guys,

Just finished my Arkador's Dunkelweizen brew day. :)

I did a bit variation : to the full 60 mins boil went just 2 gals of water with 2 lbs of DME dissoved. I also split a hops into 2 parts: 0.5 oz boiled whole 60 minutes (original recipe called for 1 oz) and 1 oz last 15 minutes.

After it I put rest of the DME and LME into boiled pot, broughto boil, then cooldown 10 approx 115F, and finally topped up to 5 gals into fermenter.

Wort has a reddish color exactly lik e on the Arkador's pic, SG is 1.062 as prescribed and taste.... hmmmm.... already sooomuch delicious - should I wait for fermentation done? :) Just kidding :)

So far looks very promising, thanks Arkador for this great recipe!

It was bubbling for 8 days. Read SG today as 1.014.
Just dry hopped it with 1 oz of Cascade and added orange zest (used big 5 oranges).
Going to keep it in FV for next 3-4 days then bottling.

UPDATE 01/10/2015 : Bottled today. What should I say? 10 out of 10! ;)

Wow great recipe... I Brewer this up 5 months ago.... I added one of austnpin home brew 1/2 packed alch boost to push it to 7% the flavor is delicious for the style. I will brew this again and push it to 7.5 abv... It's like a slightly sweeter Adventis.... I'm also gonna look at ringing the glass with cinimin and sugar

Folks, do there is an all grain of this recipe?
I would like to skip to AG definitely starting from this recipe

Likewise, anyone have an all-grain 10gal recipe for this? Much appreciated?

Couldn't you just use 50/50 wheat to pale malt and add chocolate malt to get the color you wanted?

Since OP didn't respond, I'll take a shot at putting together an AG recipe. When I originally followed this thread, I was doing extract, but now I'm all grain. So if I were going to brew this, I'd research what makes beer a dunkelweizen. Here's a good article: http://byo.com/hops/item/1964-dunkelweizen-style-profile

This is going to be different, as OPs beer doesn't have any caramel malt, but I'd start here:

Efficiency: 75% (brew house)
Original Gravity: 1.059
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 5.82%
SRM (morey): 14.01

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - German - Dark Wheat (50%)
3 lb - German - Munich Dark (25%)
2 lb - German - Vienna (16.7%)
1 lb - German - CaraMunich III (8.3%)

This is going to be darker than OPs, but still towards the lighter end of style. If you wanted lighter yet, you could use a lighter wheat or even an American wheat. Dark wheat (or Red wheat as its called at my LHBS) is only 6-8 L. You could also sub some Pilsner in place of some of the Munich, and use a lighter CaraMunich.

Let us know if any of you try to brew this. I will try to slot this in next year, maybe in the spring. My Hefeweizen with Wyeast 3068 turned out great, with low esters when fermented at 62 degrees. I would probably use that yeast and temp again in this recipe. I would also use German hops in place of the Cascade. But use Cascade if you want to get closer to the original recipe.

Edited: Subbed Vienna into the recipe in place of some of the Munich.

Since OP didn't respond, I'll take a shot at putting together an AG recipe. When I originally followed this thread, I was doing extract, but now I'm all grain. So if I were going to brew this, I'd research what makes beer a dunkelweizen. Here's a good article: http://byo.com/hops/item/1964-dunkelweizen-style-profile

This is going to be different, as OPs beer doesn't have any caramel malt, but I'd start here:

Efficiency: 75% (brew house)
Original Gravity: 1.059
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 5.82%
SRM (morey): 15.44

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - German - Dark Wheat (50%)
5 lb - German - Munich Dark (41.7%)
1 lb - German - CaraMunich III (8.3%)

This is going to be darker than OPs, but still towards the lighter end of style. If you wanted lighter yet, you could use a lighter wheat or even an American wheat. Dark wheat (or Red wheat as its called at my LHBS) is only 6-8 L. You could also sub some Pilsner in place of some of the Munich, and use a lighter CaraMunich.

Let us know if any of you try to brew this. I will try to slot this in next year, maybe in the spring. My Hefeweizen with Wyeast 3068 turned out great, with low esters when fermented at 62 degrees. I would probably use that yeast and temp again in this recipe. I would also use German hops in place of the Cascade. But use Cascade if you want to get closer to the original recipe.

After I posted this, I got to thinking that 41% Munich malt might be a bit too much in this recipe. Munich has considerably less diastatic power than many other base malts. Wheat, on the other hand, is very high in diastatic power, so it would probably be OK. But I will probably replace 2 pounds of the Munich with 2 pounds of Vienna. Should give roughly the same flavor profile, with greater conversion capability.

I brewed this one last Monday and it was bubbling happily for 4 days. I checked the gravity after 4 days and it was 1.016. I think it will drop a few more points in the next couple of days so I'll keep checking it. The sample tasted very good and the aromas were just as I would have hoped. I know Im going to love this beer and I can't wait to keg it!

I made this beer last year.... Upped abv to 7 using 1/2 pack of Ahb abv booster... Aged it about 3 months...... Result was deliciousness. My friends that like this style really liked this beer too.... This definitely has a place on my list.

Back