15 year old Mr Beer Kit (Youtube)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malweth

Reaction score
The video is a year old, but I found this while looking up malt conditioning & milling:

...and that's not all he did wrong! Wow, no wonder people think homebrew tastes awful.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's hilarious. My favorite part is the look on his face when he tastes it for the first time. For all the new brewers on HBT, this is everything you SHOULDN'T do. Great find!

That's hilarious. My favorite part is the look on his face when he tastes it for the first time. For all the new brewers on HBT, this is everything you SHOULDN'T do. Great find!

He's related to that TSA video guy:D:tank:

Actually, I think that was one of the first videos I saw last year when I was starting out with Mr. Beer. made me chuckle then and still gets a giggle even now:mug:

I've gotta give him full marks for his honesty and, somewhat dry and perhaps inadvertent but nevertheless entertaining, sense of humour:mug:

It's hard to believe I sat through the whole video.
The guy says all the stuff he did wrong, from the 15 year old beer kit to the Baker's yeast and coconut.
I can't believe he had as many drinks of that stuff is he did.

"This is the first time I made beer, I didn't want to mess it up...I was using a kit that was 15 years old..."

I think this says it all, but the quotable "this is not what to do" quotes could go on and on...

"It sort of tastes like...It sort tastes like the flavor in your mouth when you burp...after you've been eating a lot of ah bread sticks or something. It's ah, wow, it's gross."

If you watch his follow up video you discover he stuck with it and is making 15g PM batches now. Live and learn!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just so you guys know, I ended up drinking that entire batch. It wasn't contaminated in anyway, just had a completely bizarre flavor reminiscent of bread and parmesean cheese. I got used to it after the first couple pints, I just had to think of it as some weird beverage other than beer while I was drinking it.

Just so you guys know, I ended up drinking that entire batch. It wasn't contaminated in anyway, just had a completely bizarre flavor reminiscent of bread and parmesean cheese. I got used to it after the first couple pints, I just had to think of it as some weird beverage other than beer while I was drinking it.

lol good way to learn from mistakes :mug:

You should have saved a bottle to age for another 10-15 years ;)

Good going, though. I'm glad you were able to keep brewing after that one. (And I hope you didn't share any)!

You can tell he wanted to enjoy it so bad... all his hard work and creativity and attention to detail was manifested into that one glass, and his mind could not accept what his mouth was telling him - total, utter failure.

Premnasbiaculeatus said:

I have to give you credit for sticking it out.
I'm pretty sure I would have dumped it.

Starting with a 15 year old batch of ingredients there was no hope of getting something to taste good.

I'll bet when you made another batch blew your mind though.
It would've had to of been so much better that you probably didn't expect it.

i have not laughed this hard at the youtubes in longer than i can remember. thanks for making this video and sharing it. pure comedy gold. absolute roflcopters and lollerskates.

i have not laughed this hard at the youtubes in longer than i can remember. thanks for making this video and sharing it. pure comedy gold. absolute roflcopters and lollerskates.

My pleasure, it really takes a homebrewer to laugh at this. The majority of non brewers who watch it find it long and boring. But the experienced brewer knows within the first couple minutes of hearing me talk, that they're in store for an epic beer fail. Personally I cringe listening to that past version of myself eagerly talk about Dry coconutting, and 15 yearold LME...:drunk: But it is pretty funny watching me drink it. You can tell I want to like it so bad, but sip after sip it doesn't get any better.

I first watched this video about a month ago and I laughed till I had tears streaming down my face. My wife thought I was going to hurt myself. :D

But I'm impressed you stuck it out and continued brewing. :mug:

Rick

I am laughing so hard, the tears are streaming! That video is hilarious!!! I was yelling at my screen, "don't drink it!!! don't drink it!@@" but he did, and the look on his face was priceless. The baker's yeast and coconut got me the most and the way he was so serious about it!

Ah, we all start somewhere but I didn't start there.. vintage 1996... Still laughing so hard at the video! I guess my expired in 2011 ingredients don't seem so bad but maybe I'll just do a 2 gallon batch using one of my old mr beer fermenters and hope for the best!

I use the breadstick line in my TalkBass sig, and that line alone kept me in stitches for hours.

I love how, after he goes on about how awful his beer is, he then starts to warm to it saying it is something he could get used to. Then he took another drink and was like, I don't know what I'm thinking and proceeds to talk about making a video of him in the hospital or puking from drinking his beer.

That video was classic!

Premnasbiaculeatus said:
My pleasure, it really takes a homebrewer to laugh at this. The majority of non brewers who watch it find it long and boring. But the experienced brewer knows within the first couple minutes of hearing me talk, that they're in store for an epic beer fail. Personally I cringe listening to that past version of myself eagerly talk about Dry coconutting, and 15 yearold LME...:drunk: But it is pretty funny watching me drink it. You can tell I want to like it so bad, but sip after sip it doesn't get any better.

The term you're thinking of is "dry nutting."

I loved watching these two videos. I am impressed that this guy stuck it out and continued to brew! How awesome is that! Hopefully, he now adds his yeast at a much lower temp than 86F, but I digress. If everyone had balls as big as Premnasbiaculeatus (God, I hate how long your username is) we would have more homebrewer's in this world! Brew on brother, brew on!!!!

Back