concerned question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momodig

Reaction score
I'm making a stout... was told to make it 13L instead of 23L... so I did as instructed... but the store also indicated not to keep the 13L brew in primary for more then 4-5 days because of the air-- 13L instead of 23L of liquid... I'm busy at work, and won't have time to rack to secondary till the weekend (which is a 14L carboy)..... will this be bad?

Thanks

As long as fermentation is going on and producing CO2, then you'll be fine with a large headspace-- there won't be much oxygen getting into your beer.

-Steve

It will be fine. I don't know what the people at your store were saying, but all the air in your primary is now co2. It is not only safe, but it is ADVISABLE to leave beer in the primary longer than that. Most here suggest at least two weeks, I generally do three to four weeks in primary.

So why were you told to make it only 13L instead of 23L? Is there less ingredients in this kit than in other ones?

I'm making a stout... was told to make it 13L instead of 23L... so I did as instructed... but the store also indicated not to keep the 13L brew in primary for more then 4-5 days because of the air-- 13L instead of 23L of liquid... I'm busy at work, and won't have time to rack to secondary till the weekend (which is a 14L carboy)..... will this be bad?

Thanks

It would be OK to leave that stout in the primary for 4-5 weeks if you wanted, forget that secondary and bottle directly from primary.

Yeah, I'd also be interested to hear by you were told only to make 13L instead of 23L....

Yeah, 13 L in primary is fine. I just wouldn't do a secondary at all, just leave it in there until you bottle in 3 or so weeks. If you rack into a secondary with a ton of head space and the beer's no longer producing CO2 that's when you might not be so happy.

Back