lyle's golden syrup - anything else I can use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanT

Reaction score
I calc'd a brewsmith AG recipe into a partial mash recipe. It tells me to use "lyle's golden syrup," but I can't find it for sale on the midwestern supplies online shop, nor the austin homebrew supply online shop.

Is the "lyle's golden" just another way of saying: "generic light liquid malt extract?"

Can i just substitute it for a Cooper's or Munton's light LME?

By the way, i am trying to brew a Belgian Tripel...

Cost Plus World Market Carries it, as do Meijer's and IIRC Kroger's in their international foods aisle. As do many gourmet markets. If you have an Irish or English gift shop that carries foods from "over there" as well, you can often find it there.

Put Lyle's on pancakes or waffles. Mmmm.

I've never tried it, but isn't there a Rogers' Golden Syrup? You could maybe also use candi sugar or even just table sugar. That's sort of the thing you're going for.

ummmm... Is Lyle's golden Syrup just a "little flavor additive," or can it be used as the bulk ingredient like a normal LME? Does this conversion sound OK? I just have never heard of this "golden syrup" thing...

the AG recipe I found was this:

11 lb pilsner
1 lb munich
1 lb wheat malt
.66 lb biscuit
.33 caravienne

And when I asked BrewSmith to calculate a partial mash, it told me:

3.4 lb Lyle's golden syrup
5.3 lb Pilsner
1.9 lb wheat malt
1.29 lb munich
.85 lb biscuit
.43 lb caravienne

sorry - ignore my second post. I just realized that I have the ability in BeerSmith to actually choose what type of extract I want to convert the AG recipe to. I accidentally "chose" Lyle's in my calculation, that is why it came out like that. I will recalc it with Pale Liquid Extract instead.

Lyles is just invert sugar. I am not sure it would add much flavor in the finished product. It tastes pretty good all by itself, but I think it ferments out pretty completely.

Since you are brewing a tripel, you may want to replace some of the LME with a simple sugar. This will help attenuation and get you a drier finish. I have had success adding lyles or other simple sugars as fermentation slows, directly to the primary (boiled and cooled of course).

I don't know about it being "just" invert sugar, since it's got a great caramel aroma/color/flavor. However, I found a lb of Lyle's in a cream ale to be pretty understated. For the price, I'd just invert some cane sugar, unless you're brewing something that specifically calls for it, like an Old Specked Hen clone

I use Lyle's Golden Syrup frequently in brewing. I've used it in Orfy's OSH recipe and I use it in my Redden Bitter recipe. I used to have to go to specialty shops to get it, but I've been finding it surprisingly available in local supermarkets. It's a bit pricy ($5-$7) when you consider it costs 60p (currently 87¢) in the UK.

IIRC, it's partially invert sugar. I find it does add a slight (and pleasant) flavor to beer, but it's very subtle and how noticeable depends on the recipe and yeast. It tastes like toffee right out of the can.:)

Yup, go by that thread. I've done it numerous times, adding it to Belgians. I need to order some D2 syrup to compare taste wise.

Its just sugar.... from their website

How We Do It

Lyle's Golden Syrup hasn't changed in 127 years and is still made the same way it was all those years ago. The secret to Lyle's is the perfect blend of sugar molecules, which are continually refined throughout the process. This ensures that the highest quality standards are met for consumers to enjoy the sweet glistening syrup that they know and love.

For those of you who are scientifically minded… the sucrose molecule splits in half to give glucose and fructose sugars. This inverted syrup is blended back with the original syrup to give a partially inverted syrup. The secret of Lyle's Golden Syrup is the final blend of sucrose, glucose and fructose, which allows the syrup to be so thick and velvety without crystallizing.

Its just sugar.... from their website

Yeah its just that its not straight sugar. It's a bit different. I've seen recipies for invert sugar which use cream of tartar to do the trick, but I've made the candy syrup in the link and that one uses DAP.

The biggest problem I guess is I've never had lyles...

Back