fermentation problems :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monk

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have a couple problems I'd love your advice on.

Problem 1: (not much of a problem) My belgian blonde ale is still happily bubbling (about 9-10 times a minute) after almost 2 weeks. It had an explosive begginning that made me install a blow-off tube on the 6.5 gallon carboy. I haven't transferred to secondary yet, cuz it's still chuggin along with a solid 1 inch of krausen. Any suggestions? Should I just let her ride?

Problem 2: Made a hefeweizen and pitched whitelabs yeast into 67 degree wort. Thought I might need a blowoff, so I put one on. But no activity for more than 24 hours. Then I shook it a bit, to maybe aerate (I'm a little worried it didn't get sufficiently aerated) and to resuspend the yeast. Within an hour it started bubbling, maybe 5 bpm. About 15 hours later, when I returned home, it was silent again. i warmed up the house to 72-73. It bubbled a little and I noticed it has some krausen. But still (after 3.5 days) not much action at all. I'm a bit bummed. I'm prepared to leave it there for a while, but I'd like to hear your view on it.

Thanks, guys. And girls, if there are any out there...

Monk

1: You got it, let her ride. When it's done, it's done.
2: Hmmm. Did you make a starter? Did you smack the pack and let it puff-up? How old was the yeast? Were you wearing sandals or shoes, and were there any socks involvced? More details please! :)

1. Same as above.
2. What's the gravity now? Check it. It may have fermented while you weren't looking. ;)

Latest posts

Back