Newbie's first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatbob

Reaction score
Yesterday I racked my first batch to secondary. I was somewhat worried about it because it only bubbled for about a day & a half. I kept reading all the threads about worrying about it so I didn"t open it up. It was a extract kit from Midwest. It is a Liberty Cream Ale in a 6.5 gallon bucket. I left it in the primary for 9 days. After all the info from all of you experienced brewers I would have kept it in the bucket but I wanted to brew another batch. I checked the sg and it was 1.011 which is about what I expected since it started at 1.044. When I took the lid off it smelled wonderful & the sample tasted better than I could have hoped for.
While I was sanitizing every thing to move it to secondary I figured I might as well brew up another batch, & I cooked up another kit from Midwest which was an Oatmeal Stout. I would like to thank everyone here for all the great information that I got in the last week. I am looking forward to learning & tasting a lot in the near future.

Great to hear that your first batch will be a sucess!

I think brewing is the most addictive hobby in the world- I never get tired of brewing!

Welcome to HBT, and thanks for sharing. :mug:

Sounds like you found a new place to spend your hard-earned cash! Welcome to the wonderful world of homebrewing! :)

Congrats - news like this really gets me pumped. I'm starting my 1st Brew Sunday. Have all the equp for a batch of Bascom Brown Ale.

Since I blog about everything else you know I'll have stories LOL

http://www.publicenemiescolumbus.blogspot.com/

At the risk of pimping myself too hard, you may want to read my first experience with brewing here:

http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=70276

I wrote it to help folks who are worrying realize that even with all the worry and mistakes, they'll make great tasting beer. All of the effort that goes into making everything just so is for consistency, not quality. If you make lots of mistakes all the time, you'll occasionally have less than great brew. Chances are though, you'll have great brew.

Back