ProMash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rewster451

Reaction score
Where do you get ProMash software? Is it expensive? I haven't seen it at LHBS, but I haven't looked on-line yet. I was also wondering if people think it's worth it for doing mainly extract beers. Does it work that way? The whole program is really a mystery to me.:eek:

www.promash.com

You can also download a trial version on their site. Limit with the tryware is saving 3 recipes. Think its $25. Worth it for extract? If you like keeping nice records I'd still say yep. Tons of nice calculators as well.

rewster451 said:
Where do you get ProMash software? Is it expensive? I haven't seen it at LHBS, but I haven't looked on-line yet. I was also wondering if people think it's worth it for doing mainly extract beers. Does it work that way? The whole program is really a mystery to me.:eek:
I personally don't like it for extract brewing, but I'm in the minority. You get it here: http://promash.com/

desertBrew said:
Any bets that this thread goes 4 pages deep? :p

Well, I'll help you win that bet, maybe. EP, why is it not good for extract? I don't even know what this program looks like, but I think I'm going to try the free version for my next beer, which incidently will use a mini-mash.

desertBrew said:
Limit with the tryware is saving 3 recipes. Think its $25.

Note that even modifying a receipe counts as "saving it" and goes towards your "save" credits.

You should also try BeerSmith (www.beersmith.com) They have a 21 day trial. Search for "free trial" to get the trial key. BeerSmith gives you predefined mash profiles, that Promash doesn't seem to have.

Kai

I have been trying several actually. I was inicially confused with ProMash but then found the tutorial on it. I inputed my Cherry Wheat beer in, but I'm going to be putting 46 oz of cherry puree in the secondary.... and it's gong to ferment out a bit.... how can I get the program to understand this? I added cherry puree to the extra ....

rewster451 said:
Well, I'll help you win that bet, maybe. EP, why is it not good for extract? I don't even know what this program looks like, but I think I'm going to try the free version for my next beer, which incidently will use a mini-mash.
IMHO, it's not good for extract brewers because it does a poor job of taking into account the fact that we're not doing full wort boils, and it doesn't really have a "steeped grain" option. Can you make it work? Yes, but not easily, and while I'm learning to brew, I don't also need to learn how to make a power torque wrench serve duty as a screw driver.

Aside from that, it's ugly and poorly designed with a user interface that would have been great on my old Atari 400 but is woefully outdated by today's standards.

That said, once I move to all grain I'll use it, but for now both BeerSmith and Beer Recipator are more helpful to me, without getting in the way.

Back