Carbonation Errors - Adding more conditioning tablets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Euripidez

Reaction score
For my first two batches I bottle conditioned with prime tab conditioning tabs.
I made a mistake with calculation of tabs because I bottled in 1L grolsch bottles, and my beers are coming out flat. Almost undrinkably flat.

I fully intend to use priming sugar for my latest brews, and have it measured out and ready with my bottling bucked, but with my remaining prime tabs, is there anything I can do? Would it work to pop them open, add 1-2 more tabs, and then re-seal? They are still conditioning at room temperature.

Thanks.
- Eur

Some of those small carb tabs need some 6 tabs for a 12oz bottle. Might've been better economicaly to just bulk prime. I used Cooper's carb tabs on my first couple batches,then went bulk prime. With bulk priming,bottle size doesn't matter. But you could try adding a few more per bottle.

Just remember, if you're trying the beers at under 3 weeks (more like 5 for grolsh pints) with the beer stored at 70+, the issue isn't with the sugar. It's just too soon. and you may not really have a priming issue. A lot of new brewers come here thinking they have priming issues, when they just have patience ones.

You don't want to necessarily be adding MORE sugar to your bottles if in reality the yeast hasn't finished eating the existing sugars....Otherwise bottle goes boom when the yeast eats ALL the sugar.

All to true. But when he mentioned using tabs,I got the image of those lil pill like things that take several per bottle to carb. Not using enough in a bottle that size wouldn't work well. I was wondering how many did you use per bottle?

1 tab for a 1L grolsch bottle.

I was going for "low" levels of carbonation, per the website, but disregarded the fact that I wasn't using 12 oz bottles, and that 1 tab per bottle on the website is the lower range of low carbonation.

I looked up Brewer's Best conditioning tablets on midwests' site. They say to use 4 tabs per 12oz bottle. Was that the brand you bought?

1 tab for a 1L grolsch bottle.

I was going for "low" levels of carbonation, per the website, but disregarded the fact that I wasn't using 12 oz bottles, and that 1 tab per bottle on the website is the lower range of low carbonation.

So how long HAS it been in the bottle? What I would do is make sure it's been 2-3 weeks since you added the tablet, to make sure that sugar is consumed. Then open each of them and reprime with the right amount of tabs. That way you don't have to worry about the tab you already put in causing a potential bottle bomb incident when you add more sugar. The co2 that did get produced by that one tablet will void out when you open them. Then just let them go for 4-5 weeks, since it's a larger bottle. It's also going to take longer than a 12 ounce will to carb up.

So how long HAS it been in the bottle? What I would do is make sure it's been 2-3 weeks since you added the tablet, to make sure that sugar is consumed. Then open each of them and reprime with the right amount of tabs. That way you don't have to worry about the tab you already put in causing a potential bottle bomb incident when you add more sugar. The co2 that did get produced by that one tablet will void out when you open them. Then just let them go for 4-5 weeks, since it's a larger bottle. It's also going to take longer than a 12 ounce will to carb up.

Sorry for the late reply. I bottled on the 3rd and I just cracked one open after 20 days. The carbonation is acceptable now. I am going to put the stout in the back of the fridge for a month or so, but Ill drink the brown ales. Chalk this one up to learning and I got a big bag of corn sugar and a scale. Bottling my pale ale soon!

Sorry for the late reply. I bottled on the 3rd and I just cracked one open after 20 days. The carbonation is acceptable now. I am going to put the stout in the back of the fridge for a month or so, but Ill drink the brown ales. Chalk this one up to learning and I got a big bag of corn sugar and a scale. Bottling my pale ale soon!

Try saving some of that stout for 6 months. Brew it again and pour 1/2 glass of old stout and 1/2 glass new stout.

Also, the back of the fridge is often the coldest part. Put your eggs and milk there. Keep your beers in the warmest part of the fridge if you can. Your fridge should always stay below 40F, but people prefer to serve beer at about 45F. There's no need to keep them cooler (usually). If you use a fridge to chill your beers, like I do, you'll just have to deal with them being cold. You can take one out and let it rest for a few minutes or you can warm your glass with your hands.

Also, the back of the fridge is often the coldest part. Put your eggs and milk there. Keep your beers in the warmest part of the fridge if you can. Your fridge should always stay below 40F, but people prefer to serve beer at about 45F. There's no need to keep them cooler (usually). If you use a fridge to chill your beers, like I do, you'll just have to deal with them being cold. You can take one out and let it rest for a few minutes or you can warm your glass with your hands.

I have a beer fridge I keep at 50f.
A little warm, but I like my beers this way, especially stouts and porters.
If I have a beer I want really cold, Ill throw it in the freezer for a few minutes before drinking.

It also doubles as a cellar! I have 2 bottles of Narwhal and 2 Bottles of Sam Adams Double Bock aging. Its been about a week. Is it one year yet? :drunk:

Back