Mitch's Electric Brewery Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnoltimier

Reaction score
Compliments to Kal.... thanks again bud.

IMG_5776.JPG

IMG_5778.JPG

IMG_5779.JPG

IMG_5780.JPG

IMG_5785.JPG

I'm pretty sure mashing children will not yield a BJCP-approved style!

Seriously though - great looking stand, and nice hardware. I look forward to following your build and seeing the final product.

Looking good! I'm down to exhaust and pumps. Everything else is complete. You are well on your way.

The picture with your kids is great! Awesome stuff!

You got to have a clipboard! It's helpful AND nerdy! a double whammy!

I did a "practice batch". It was a brown porter... JZ's Taddy Porter clone. It was a 5 gallon batch and I took NO NOTES. It was strictly an equipment run. Everything turned out great. I still am waiting for 7 more parts from MoreBeer... so the chilling process was a pain in the a$$...

Soon my parts will be in and I can't decide what to brew first. I'm thinking a basic pale ale (citra hops) to get things started.

I got a nitrogen setup for my brown porter ready to go and I thought a basic pale ale would compliment it nicely.

What should I make?

I would do something with big grain bill a good deal of hops, just to make sure all your filtering and whirlpooling is working well. Then again, a small inexpensive grain bill might be good for a first run to perfect the process. Whatever it might be, I would make one you've done and are familiar with so you can compare the results with what you've brewed before. And make one you really like!

Nice looking rig! Really like how you used the tiles in a frame under the kettles. Arethose standard picture frames, or did you make them custom? May be stealing that idea!

I bought 18" tiles... they fit under the kettles perfectly. I looked at Lowes and they had nothing for tile border but Home Depot had just what I needed. You can find the border in the trim section. They are the perfect height... you just need to make nice corners and liquid nail them down. They worked out pretty nice.

This is a garage setup so no exhaust needed. I live in Houston and the winters stay in the 60's. I am trying to transfer to Denver soon... which is why I built an indoor setup. There maybe a basement version coming soon.

Thanks for checking my build out.

Anyone got tickets for GABF 2012? I'll be there every session... my father in law tried to get tickets to late... so I'm looking for people to meet up with. If you are going let me know..

~Cheers
Mitch

Almost done...

Mitch,
I was trying to quote your message in which you had the photo of your conical fermenter.

1. what is the size of your conical?
2. is your fermentation chamber a refrigerator or an upright freezer?
3. what is the cu ft of the fermentation chamber containing the conical?

Merry Christmas and thanks,
Keith

great job on the build. Did you purchase the kit from kal or did you buy all the parts separately?

I bought all the DIY kits from Kal through Spike Innovations and followed the instructions 99% of the time. I would do it like this again.

It is the Blichmann 14.5 gallon fermenator. The freezer model is LFFU14F5HWN and I bought it from Lowes. If you use this freezer you will have to take out the door shelf and put in a piece of plastic (also from Lowes) cut into the right shape. You will also have to break the high temp alarm that goes off every couple of seconds because we obviously don't ferment below 20 degrees. So pull the control panel off the front of the door with your fingertips or flat head screw driver. It just pulls out. Than find a small black circle disc and pull it off with a pliers. I don't remember what the piece was called so make sure you google what the piece says to make sure. The electronic piece has a model number so you'll figure it out. Questions?

Great job on the build. I just ran through my inbox and saw one of your old messages that led me to this. You definitely don't need my crayola brutus wiring diagram anymore.

Hey mnoltimier, are you still using the hop stopper? I've got nearly the same setup, and the hop stopper is the only piece I wish I could change. Working on finding a solution for that now...

Back