Plastic or glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krduckman

Reaction score
New homebrewer here. Wanted opinions on primary fermentor. Should I use a plastic pale ale bucket or glass carboy? Also, if I used a glass carboy, should I use a 6 or 6 1/2 gallon. Pros & Cons of each?

You are opening a
campbellscanofworms.jpg

The sticky at the top of this forum covers this topic pretty well. Check it out if you missed it!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/vs-pro-con-analysis-109318/

You can get by with eaither a 6 gal or 6.5 gallon, but make sure you have the materials to rig a blowoff!

Cool. Thanks. Are the stickies archives?

They appear at the top to each subforum, and each subforum has its own appropriate stickies. I completely understand you missing the one I linked because the name isn't very specific!

I just wanted to warn you that the glass vs plastic debate (among MANY others) usually winds up pretty headed since people have strong opinions and the ensuing arguements are not constructive. They usually serve to just confuse the person originally asking the question! It all boils down to you understanding each fermenting vessel and deciding which one you prefer.

Back