Carbonation Tabs vs Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoGirl

Reaction score
What are the pros and cons of using carbonation tablets over priming sugar? So far, I have only used the priming sugar but friends of mine that have just started brewing are using the carbonation tablets and this has me wondering. thanks

If you look down at the similar threads box below, you will see a couple discussions of that very topic. Then if you look at THEIR similar threads you should get even more info.

I always use malt to kick off carbonation in the bottles. When I keg I use nothing but a week or so under pressure. I always thought sugar left a flavor in the brew that I didn't like.

What are the pros and cons of using carbonation tablets over priming sugar? So far, I have only used the priming sugar but friends of mine that have just started brewing are using the carbonation tablets and this has me wondering. thanks

The carb tabs are easier to use, but IMO, sugars the way to go. I find it easier to get the level of co2 I desire with sugar. But listen to Revvy and Pappers, read up and experiment for yourself and do what works. By the way, I grew up in crystal lake, just west of round lake. :mug:

Back