Pitching yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McGreen

Reaction score
Is it better to sprinkle the yeast directly over the 70 degree wort or to dissolve it first in cooled boil water? I have conflicting directions on my recipe. Thanks!

If you have dry yeast, some people like to rehydrate but I would be willing to bet that most of us (myself included) just sprinkle the stuff in. Dry yeast works very well without any starter or anything; it is sort of known for that. RDWHAH, and sprinkle it on in!

Ive noticed a good difference in hydrating. You get a faster start and its supposed to be healthier for the yeast. Ive noticed on Danstar Nottinghams website also that for like the munich yeast it says to hydrate but you dont have to aerate your wort if you hydrate. I used to pitch direct but hydrating has been giving me good beer weather its my other techinque or better ingredients, i dont know for shure but im sticking with hydrating. I always boil some water last 10 min of the boil and cool it and cool the wort while hydrating the yeast halfway through the wortcooling.It also gave me something to do while the wort cooled and doesnt take much time and you dont lose time.

I've done both with no problems, rehydrating dry yeast would be the way to go though.Get it started when you begin to chill your wort it should be ready within half hour.

Cheers!

I used to rehydrate - not anymore. There is little measurable difference (that I've seen anyway) in lag time, and rehydrating is an extra step that I simply don't care for since I still make perfectly good beer without having to do it.

Latest posts

Back