Protein rest question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorsemenRugby58

Reaction score
About to do a Noble Pils clone and I had a question about the mash schedule.

Most people on the thread reccomend protein resting using roughly 1.25qt/lb of grain @122 degrees and then raising to 153.

Just so I don't mess this up, does that mean putting water in at that ratio to raise the bed to 122 degrees and letting it sit for the specified ammount of time, and then adding water to raise the temp of the mash to 153 and waiting it out? Just curious as I have never done this.

About to do a Noble Pils clone and I had a question about the mash schedule.

Most people on the thread reccomend protein resting using roughly 1.25qt/lb of grain @122 degrees and then raising to 153.

Just so I don't mess this up, does that mean putting water in at that ratio to raise the bed to 122 degrees and letting it sit for the specified ammount of time, and then adding water to raise the temp of the mash to 153 and waiting it out? Just curious as I have never done this.

I wouldn't bother doing a multi-rest infusion mash. It's not going to add anything to the flavor and it isn't really necessary for conversion. Decoction mashing is the ultra traditional method for this style and its' devotees would say it adds some subtle complexities & flavors to the beer. FWIW IMO 122F is too low and 1563 is too high for the two stages. My choice would be to start at 128-130F and finish at 148-150F. :mug:

I usually do a protein rest for german pilsener malts. Some people would say it is needed and there is some scientific study that brings in to doubt whether or not it even works. If you want to do one (it's supposed to help with clarity) then go ahead and mash in at 122 but use less water. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 0.75 qts/lb is probably about right, hold it for 20 minutes, and then use near boiling water to raise the temp to your next rest (I would recommend 152-154). It will take quite a bit of water to raise your temp so you don't want to mash in too thin unless you have a very large mlt. That should also leave you enough room for a mash out step if you so choose. BTW, this is my third time typing this and if it won't go through this time I give up.

I do a protein rest when I use a lot of Pilsner malt. I feel that while it helps with clarity, I like to use them for improving the body of the beers. Small proteins can add a lot of body to a beer. Most homebrewers don't even consider them, and focus on the dextrins to manage body. That is ignoring a big tool in our arsenal. By using a protein rest, I can push my FG down and still have lots of body. It is hard to get a low FG when one mashes high to get more body. When I use pale malt, I will skip the p-rest, but sometimes may mash in at 125 and then immediately begin raising it to my main mash temp. No malt has the perfect level of protein modification level for all beer styles. There is tweaking that can be done. For many, it is not worth the bother though.

If you do choose to do it, I agree with rjwhite about mashing thicker at the beginning (as thick as you can imo), it's going to be difficult to raise it from 122 F to a decent sacc rest temp without adding a LOT of water (I'd do the p-rest closer to the temp BigEd recommended). As to whether you should or not, you'll never really know for yourself until you try it (if nothing else you'll see what a PITA it can be if you screw it up!).

As for the sacc rest temp, that's something you have to sort of dial in using your system and whatever yeast you choose. You'll get a small amount of beta activity at p-rest temps. I don't know what kind of attenuation Noble Pils has or what yeast you're using so I can't recommend one. I made a Boh Pils yesterday and my rest temps were 131 F and 158 F but I was going for low attenuation a la Pilsner Urquell (which is only 69% AA). Even mashing at 158 F and using Bock yeast I doubt I'll get that low attenuation. And since I had to use most of my water for the infusion I had to do a decoction mash-out (which, if anything, should benefit that beer).

EDIT: the FFT finished yesterday and was @ 1.014 which is ~73% AA, right in the middle of the White Labs German Bock yeast %AA range (70%-76%).

The website wasn't working properly when I posted this....after actually doing it (my first time trying) and royally messing up, I will not be protein resting. If its main objective is clarity then i definitely won't be continuing the practice...as I use a filter with pads to bottle my beer. I first filter it into a keg where it is force carbed, and then I use a Blichmann beer gun to fill my bottles....so yeah next time mashing at 150-152 for a 60min boil and calling it a day..... thanks for the replies everyone!

Back