Bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

By-Tor

Reaction score
I brewed an oatmeal stout with an OG of 1.056,and bottled today after 2 weeks,stupidly enough, I took my FG, after I bottled (I know, I should have done it before hand, I said it was stupid). Anyways, the FG was 1.020. Am I going to get gushers, or worse, bottle bombs?

1020 is pretty common for an oatmeal stout. i'd let it sit for 5-6 weeks before bottling or kegging, as 2 weeks isn't nearly long enough. you might get gushers, though

1020 is pretty common for an oatmeal stout. i'd let it sit for 5-6 weeks before bottling or kegging, as 2 weeks isn't nearly long enough. you might get gushers, though

The recipe called for 2 weeks in the primary,then bottle.It's a stout with very little roasted grains,I guess that's why the short ferment. I just wasent sure if there was a cut off for bottle bombs.

I don't think 2 weeks in primary is long enough. I would go with lumps info. 4 weeks minimum. By the way I like the way your sheriff operates. J

all those kits say 2 weeks or thereabouts. that's enough time for the yeast to ferment, but it needs to clean itself up and fall out of suspension. i've done many stouts, and after 2 weeks, i'm still ignoring them. i start considering kegging them for aging after 5-6 weeks.

I don't think 2 weeks in primary is long enough. I would go with lumps info. 4 weeks minimum. By the way I like the way your sheriff operates. J

Yeah, I would have liked to have gone longer too,but the problem is,IT'S ALREADY IN THE BOTTLES!! So should I open them all, or let it ride? I like our sheriff too, he rules.

let them ride. don't want to dump them because they "might" do something. they should be fine. let them age 6 weeks or so, and they should be tasty

I personally would let em ride. You said you took your fg reading after you bottled, I think you are fine. How much sugar did you prime with in how many gallons? My last stouts fg = 1.018. I primed with 5oz dextrose in five gallons. It turned out perfect. It got better with age.

let them ride. don't want to dump them because they "might" do something. they should be fine. let them age 6 weeks or so, and they should be tasty

So there won't be a splo-tion at 1.020 FG? What FG would be dangerous? Not really worried about the flavor, it already tastes good.

So there won't be a splo-tion at 1.020 FG? What FG would be dangerous? Not really worried about the flavor, it already tastes good.

No idea about an explosion. But like Live said earlier, if you took your FG reading AFTER you bottled, you likely are taking the reading with the additional priming sugar you added for carbonation.

Your FG BEFORE adding the priming sugar will of course be lower than the 1.020 you measured. How much lower I can not tell you, but I'm sure those smarter on here than me will be able to calculate it for you.

I personally would let em ride. You said you took your fg reading after you bottled, I think you are fine. How much sugar did you prime with in how many gallons? My last stouts fg = 1.018. I primed with 5oz dextrose in five gallons. It turned out perfect. It got better with age.

I primed with 5oz corn sugar for 5 gal.I just wasent sure because i have never bottled at higher than 1.011. I just dident want danger in my beer.

As Papazian said - Stress Out, Worry. Dump it, it's probably ruined. Or for those that like anagrams, SOWDIIPR.

I know that the extended primary idea is here for a reason, but only the largest of Belgians or most finicky of yeast are not done after 4 weeks.

Assuming you pitched anywhere near the proper pitching rate, I'm sure your beer was done after two weeks. No worries.

Corn sugar would (5 oz.) add about 2 gravity points in 5 gallons. So I'm guessing your beer finished @ 1.018. Sounds right for an oatmeal stout.

It's not the FG that matters. It's the amount of fermentable sugars left. I've made a few barley wines that finished at 1.025. I had no worries about bottle bombs, because I was confident that there were no more fermentable sugars in there. I left it alone to completely ferment and then made sure my FG was steady over the course of a few days before I bottled.

As people have mentioned here, it is very common to have "heavier" beers finish at 1.020 - especially if they are mostly extract.

Your situation sounds absolutely normal (and fine). I agree with the other responses that suggest next time you leave it alone for a few weeks, even if fermentation is done in a week. 2 weeks isn't bad though. And I'm not sure you need to leave it in the fermentor for 5-6 either. It may take 5-6 weeks in the bottle though to come into its own.

I'm kinda surprised the old "yes, it is ruined, send them to me for proper disposal" hasn't appeared yet. Someone must be sick or somthing. ; )

You should be fine. Just in case, don't put 'em in the closet near swmbo's clothes or open 'em near the cat in case of gushers. Although, gusher + kitty could be entertaining....

Enjoy your beer!

Back