using calcium carbonate (chalk) in brew water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I started using calcium carbonate to build water and noticed that this stuff doesn't seem to dissolve in water. I added 1.5g to 15L (~4 gal) and the water remained cloudy even when heated up.

Is this normal, or does chalk need more CO2 in the water to actually dissolve?

Kai

hm, i've found that my brewing salts generally disolve. i am using RO water though as a base, and constructing my water profiles for each brew. if you are not using RO water, the chalk may be binding or reacting to something else in your water? how much time do you give it to dissolve?

Is the pH changing even though the CaCo3 isn't dissolving? Because if it is I wouldn't worry.

I gave it over night to dissolve and it was still cloudy. And yes, I'm using R/O water.

I haven't checked the PH of the water, but the PH of the mash was fine.

Kai

I know I should have looked this up, but thanks Dude. Not having my salt additions disolve in my water didn't bother me as I knew it was disolved in my mash, but this makes it clear.

Back